Hot rock shows for frugal students

Who says you can’t get something for free? That guy ought to make his stakeout at Memorial Union’s Rathskeller this weekend and he will be whistling a different tune, quite literally. With the Von Bondies playing Friday night and Awesome Car Funmaker releasing their debut album on Saturday, one will just have to wait until Sunday to take off those dancing shoes.

The circumstances by which most are familiar with the Von Bondies are truly unfortunate. After an altercation with one-time friend Jack White in December of 2003, images of beaten frontman Jason Stollsteimer flooded the music scene. While it is an incident that relentlessly follows the Detroit-born band, the time has come for recognition only from the assaults on their instruments. And from the way Stollsteimer goes at the mic and his guitar, White need be grateful there was a nonviolent response.

For a relatively young band, made up of Stollsteimer, new bassist Yasmine Smith (Carrie Smith recently put down her bass due to personal reasons), drummer Don Blum, and guitarist Marcie Bolen, the Von Bondies have been hard at work. The 2002 independent release Lack of Communication, though not up to par according to band members, garnered considerable international interest from the underground. At that point, they had only been playing together a few months. Not long after and in between all the intense touring schedules, the foursome found time to put out Pawn Shoppe Heart, a major-label debut album with Sire Records.

Recordings, however, have never been the focus of this quartet. The Von Bondies thrive on the thrill of the live show. Hailed as one of the best live bands not only in Detroit but much of the Midwest, they are earning acknowledgment abroad in Europe. Pride in this album comes from that particular live element. They are able to transcend space and time, transferring the intense energy they inject into any venue onto a tiny little disk. That is a mighty lucky thing for those who are not so fortunate as to partake in the Von Bondies’ festivities.

The sound of the band is as unique as their energetic show. Stollsteimer has said, “My goal has always been to find our own sound, not necessarily blues-based or garage-based but something different that was new and natural to us.” The Von Bondies have done just that. Sharing the responsibilities, although Stollsteimer still does most of the songwriting, the equal parts of male and female influences lend themselves to the personalized brand of rock and roll. The lyrics find just as wide an array as the conglomeration of beats and strings.

Some lines are of the light, such as “Not that Social,” with Smith taking the lead vocals that boast, “I’ve been hinting for a long, long time / You’ll never make it, this is the end / You’re not that social, just a good drinker.” Stollsteimer’s deep vocals of “Don’t be mistaken for someone who cares / Oh no, I know you wouldn’t dare / You’re the patsy, the pawn I took / The sacrificial lamb, the spineless book,” complement a heavy sound from the rhythmic section in “No Regrets.”

Influences of the blues, garage, and punk from either coast infuse the sounds, but above all, it is distinct manipulation of these sounds that make the Von Bondies a band to listen for. The liveliness with which they perform those songs makes them a band to watch.

Think of seeing the Strokes or the Vines at the Rathskeller. Indeed, quite ridiculous. If the popularity of bands in the U.K. is any indication of future successes in the States, as with the aforementioned groups, it will not be long before the musical experience of the Von Bondies will become events exclusive to paying patrons. Returning from an Australian showing, the Von Bondies will rock Madison this Friday with Starlite Desperation starting at nine o’clock.

Saturday at 9:30 p.m., Madison’s very own Awesome Car Funmaker will invade the Rathskeller along with local bands the Skintones and the German Art Students in what promises to be another night of energetic entertainment. A band still relatively in its youth, the sounds of ACF results from the beats of Andy on the drums, the stylistics of Brendan on the keyboard, the chords of Justin on the bass, and the words and riffs from Ryan on the vocals and guitar. Playing various Madison venues over the past year, ACF has established itself as possessing quite a stage presence. Justin explained, “The live show is where the band has their most fun. There is lots of jumping, running, guitar-flinging, falling down, and hugging. It’s very energetic and intense. It usually leaves us with huge smiles on our sweaty faces.” And what better way to expend all that pent-up post-election season agitation than jumping around to some good tunes? Having a band that energetic is always a joy to experience. When the sounds combine with that radiating delight and the listener starts to move, there is an added appreciation for the performers.

With songs ranging in topics anywhere from outlaws to torture chambers (and the all-important pirate number), these boys just want to have fun doing their thing and hope to incite others to do the same. It is hard enough not to throw oneself around when merely listening to Ryan’s strong vocals on “Part Two” with moments reminding of a harder rocking “Bohemian Rhapsody” from Queen. Put the high-octane quartet on a stage and stagnation is near impossible. As the reminiscences of the late ’80s permeate “The Natural,” ACF demonstrates that fun can also lean on poignancy through rocking with lines like “Natural disasters / Natural highs / The natural answer / Is the natural life.” ACF will be in especially high spirits as they celebrate the release of their debut album “Green Means Go.” Listeners will finally be able to take that energy in the show and rock to it any time he wishes. This show is additionally exciting for ACF because they will not only be able to play for their good friends and a developing following of enthusiasts, but also a whole new audience that has not yet experienced all that is Awesome Car Funmaker.