East coast singer’s harmony and humor grace Madison

A major label debut, a new single, a packed club and a snazzy “go-hawk” gave singer and songwriter Matt Nathanson much to smile and chuckle about Sunday evening during his one-and-a-half hour set performed energetically to a low-key crowd.

College students and concert-goers alike filed into the Annex in Madison after many waited in the blistering cold until the doors opened to ensure a good standing spot in the club. However, Nathanson failed to venture out of his anti-love tune medleys and sex humor, creating a comical atmosphere for the crowd, but lacking the musical excellence one comes to expect from a live show.

The quiet crowd, apart from the one loud middle-aged and clearly single woman screaming, “Take off your shirt!” left much to the mind’s eye.

Was Nathanson just not doing it for the crowd, or was the floor just overwhelmingly sticky?

Regardless of the crowd’s failure to exhibit much emotion, Nathanson sang his heart out and did an uproar-inspiring guitar flick or two throughout the evening.

Often compared to other solo male musicians such as John Mayer, Jack Johnson and Howie Day, Nathanson believes he differs greatly, while noting a few similarities to Day.

“My music is a lot more angry,” Nathanson said in an interview preceding the show. “It’s kind of like John Mayer stubbed his toe.”

The Massachusetts native has been on the scene for more than 10 years, staying moderately consistent in style throughout albums and producing what he terms “angry folk rock”.

“I’ve been in bands since sixth grade,” Nathanson said. “I guess what inspired me was bad metal. My grandfather was a singer. It wasn’t like there was a drum kit in my living room or anything cool like that.”

However, bands are no longer Nathanson’s forte, since he now makes his appearances as a solo musician, occasionally accompanied by cello player Matt Fish.

“Democracy is not my speed in terms of band situations,” Nathanson said, adding that his motivation and direction always seemed a bit stronger than the other members of bands he has been a part of in the past. As an independent musician, he consistently looks for ways to improve and for inspiration for songs.

“They are angry, they are sad … they are a little bit more aggressive than other singers’ and songwriters’,” Nathanson said. “I’m constantly in search of inspiration. I’m constantly in search of something that elevates me away from who I am and just be swept up in what they have created. I then get inspired to create myself.”

Nathanson also noted that over the past 10 years he has evolved and progressed, musically speaking.

“I think I’ve sort of been doing the same thing,” he said. “I’ve been getting better at it slowly.”

The 10 years of experience can easily be seen during a live show through a level of ease coupled with an innate knowledge of how the crowd will react to what he plays and says.

The standstill crowd managed to belt out a few favorites in unison with Nathanson despite the lack of dancing. Nathanson covered James’ hit “Laid,” which he also recorded for the “American Wedding” soundtrack. “Answering Machine”, which Nathanson noted prior to the show was one of his favorite songs to play live because of the audience involvement, also sparked quite the sing-along.

The audience and fan base are two things that seem important to Nathanson. He said his fan base seems “pretty strong,” while noting the enjoyment he receives from interacting and communicating with audience members during shows.

“I’ve been doing it for so long that there’s a nice buildup of people who have been coming out over the years,” Nathanson said in regards to his fan base.

“I like to just interact with people from the stage like we’re all hanging out,” Nathanson said. “It’s not really for me to just play songs straight through. For me it’s just much better to interact … it’s a much more fun time. I don’t want it to be a f-cking bore.”

He enjoys talking about the songs prior to playing them and during Sunday’s show made sure to poke fun at himself, once again sparking the laughs that drive him.

One thing Nathanson has mastered over the years is stage presence. He evokes laughter through his comedic song introductions and jokes. Nathanson poked fun at the horrid cold of Wisconsin and its close resemblance to an icebox while commenting on how awful he looks in the free Hollister clothing he has received. Hip hop, porn and sex were also main subjects of comedic achievements.

Nathanson’s free spirit and giggles between song lyrics can do nothing less than evoke a peeking smirk from audience members. You just can’t help but laugh right along with him.

The atmosphere, stage presence and lack of extreme seriousness provided a laid-back and comfortable show Sunday evening. However, don’t go analyzing the setlist. There’s not all that much to dive into.