Riverdance glows on Madison stage this weekend

Anyone stuck in Madison over Spring Break? Need something to do other than hit up the bars for some green beer on St. Patrick’s Day? An Irish cultural extravaganza of music and dance makes its way to the Madison Civic Center just in time for the holiday with “Riverdance: The Show.” This production took Broadway by storm and now makes its way to the Madison stage this weekend, premiering Tuesday night.

“Riverdance: The Show” originated as an intermission act for the Eurovision Song Contest in 1994 and made its full production debut at Dublin’s Point Theatre in 1995. It celebrates the universal joys of music and dance, integrating different varieties of dance and song with the ever-popular Irish tradition.

Probably the most appealing part of this production is the cultural combination interwoven with the reels and jigs. The international flare, which includes Spanish Flamenco dancing, African-American tappers and Russian folk ballet, shows just how interconnected the world is, with such huge similarities in these dance art forms.

For first-time viewers, “Riverdance: The Show” is delightful, although it does fall short of the quality and showmanship of its original cast.

Tara Barry, in the lead female dance role of this particular touring company, seemed somewhat unsure of herself in the spotlight. Although her dancing was impeccable, as were all the female dancers onstage, her stage presence and rapport with the audience left much to be desired.

But Michael Patrick Gallagher, in the lead male role originated by Irish dance legend Michael Flatley, was stellar in his shoes. “Riverdance” still gives credit to Flatley for the original principal Irish Dance Choreography in its program, and Gallagher did a fine job of keeping up with the lead male reputation.

By far the most talented dancer onstage, his quick feet and natural flare caught the audience’s eyes immediately. He was very comfortable with himself, and although he was not as heroic or good-looking as Flatley was in his role, Gallagher had an excellent performance.

Roza Manzano Jimenez, a Spanish Flemenco dancer, started off the cross-cultural segment of the show, tapping her feet and swinging her fiery red and orange dress. She lit up the stage, and her signature piece, entitled “Firedance,” brought down the house.

The “Riverdance” tappers, Walter “Sundance” Freeman, Ronald “Cadet” Bastine and DeAndre Lewis Wolf, also got the crowd in an uproar of applause. The three men, doing their version of African-American tap dancing, had a duel onstage with Gallagher and his Irish step-dancing men.

The tappers’ laughter and energy were contagious, and no one could help but laugh as they mocked the stiffness and structure of their Irish counterparts. These men were amazing.

Members of the Moscow Folk Ballet Company wowed the crowd themselves with their tumbles and tricks near the end of the show. The traditional Russian dance included intricate step sequences, kicks, turns and spins.

Their partner work made for quite a show, as the women were thrown into the air, flying, and the men were leaping and kicking their way across the stage. This scene was absolutely delightful to see.

The rhythmic tones and angelic voices that make up the music of the Celts compares to no others. Music is a huge part of this production, with multiple vocal solos and instrumental breaks.

From one extreme to another, Niamh Ni Charra on her fiddle got everyone’s feet stamping while Brian O’Brien’s beautiful Uilleann pipe solo echoed hauntingly through the theatre. Music is a part of almost every culture in this world, and “Riverdance” celebrates this art form as well.

Lighting and special effects in this production were simple yet very effective. The light sequences, along with the spotlights shown on musical solos, complimented the intricate dancing onstage. No major special effects are needed in a production such as this — the dancing and music are simply enough.

Compared to other Irish dance productions, including Flatley’s “Lord of the Dance,” performances by the Trinity Irish Dance Company and even previous casts of “Riverdance: The Show,” this production feels much more Broadway, more showy, more about the culmination of cultures with song and music than strictly the dance.

But without fail, the heart-pounding energy and foot-stamping music and dance that characterize the Irish culture will bring any audience back again and again to see it. Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this weekend; call the Civic Center Ticket Office and get your tickets to “Riverdance: The Show” today.

“Riverdance: The Show” runs tonight through March 16 in the Oscar Mayer Theater in the Madison Civic Center. Call the Civic Center Ticket Office at 258-4141 for ticket information.