‘Fugitive Days’ explores ’60s activism

As one of the founders of the 1960s militant activist group The Weather Underground, Bill Ayers lived on the run for 10 years. In his heyday, the University of Illinois professor stole explosives, planted bombs and hid from the law.

His memoir, “Fugitive Days,” is a wonderful recollection of his early days as a rebel. Ayers writes candidly about his coming-of-age in a wealthy Chicago suburb, his introduction to the underground activist movement and the eventual explosion that killed two of his closest friends.

The book was originally released Sept. 11, 2001, an unlucky coincidence for the brilliant author, and in this more recent edition, Ayers concludes the book with a brief afterword detailing the world’s reaction to the original release of his book on that fateful day and addresses the backlash that occurred following the terrorist attacks due to his “un-American” tale of rebellion.

Despite the initial doubts, Americans have come to embrace Ayers’ memoir, and some may find this book particularly engaging in such a time of political unrest and questioning as we are in right now.

Just as Ayers fell into the rebel movement as a result of his increasing sense of horror at the American involvement in Vietnam, today’s readers will likely identify in the context of the impending war with Iraq.

Ayers writes with an engagingly clear style of prose, and his personal accounts of life on the streets of Detroit, Cleveland and Chicago will keep readers turning the pages quickly. As exciting as his rebellion against the conflict in Vietnam is, Ayers manages to weave in a love story as well. Along with his desire to change the way the government worked, his overwhelming love for fellow activist Diana Oughton is a steady theme throughout the book.

Ayers’ love for Diana helps him through the darkest of days and coldest of nights inside organizations such as the Days of Rage, SDS, the Black Panthers and The Weather Underground.

Following the deadly explosion that kills three of his comrades, Ayers is joined by fellow activist Bernardine Dohrn, who was then listed on the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted List.

Using the pseudonyms Joe and Rosa, the two begin their life on the run together, and the book moves forward with an uncontrollable momentum that keeps readers wondering until the very last page.

Today, Ayers is distinguished professor of education at the University of Illinois as well as the director of the Center for Youth and Society. “Fugitive Days” is his only memoir, but he has also written “A Kind and Just Parent” and many other books on education.

“Fugitive Days” is the story of a young dreamer who struggled to find a way to make the world a better place — a story many students on campus could certainly relate to.