Sturdy Roots: One of hip-hop’s greatest comes to Madison

For those of you who are sick and tired of overproduced, overhyped tracks featuring commercial rappers with little or no talent, listen up. The Roots, one of the most talented groups in hip-hop today, are performing at the Orpheum tonight at 8 p.m., and this is a show you won’t want to miss.

The groundbreaking Philadelphia rap outfit is touring to promote its latest album, the critically acclaimed Phrenology, which came in at No. 6 on the Badger Herald Top 20 Albums of 2002.

The group first caught the general public’s attention in 1999 with its Grammy-winning song “You Got Me,” featuring Erykah Badu. Their album, Things Fall Apart, proceeded to go multi-platinum and made the Roots one of the most popular artists of alternative rap’s second wave.

Now, with the much-anticipated release of their follow-up album, Phrenology, the Roots have established themselves as one of “true” hip-hop’s latest and greatest. They remain head and shoulders above the rest by sticking to their well-defined course of smoky live beats, serious lyrics, stunning guests … and not one ounce of production from the Neptunes.

It’s this commitment to what they believe in that has created such an enormous fan base worldwide, and the fact that Phrenology took three years to produce is a testament to the Roots’ strong work ethic.

The intensity and quality of their live shows doesn’t hurt, either. In fact, Phrenology is touted by some as the greatest Roots album yet, because it’s their most successful attempt to re-create their concert punch in the studio.

Phrenology takes its title from a 19th-century scientific movement (long since debunked) that believed the shape and protuberances of one’s skull were essential in determining one’s character and mental capabilities. And just like the perplexing album title, the Roots want to make you think.

The album is clearly reflective of the turbulence within the band over the past three years (including the loss of the talented but troubled MC Malik B.), but the group manages to concoct rhythm from chaos, with powerful results.

The focal point of the album, “Water,” is performed by Black Thought and details the absence of Malik B. The 10-minute piece is a compelling look at B’s drug problems, and the song concludes with an avant-garde collage of sound.

On a lighter note, ?uestlove’s drums positively boom out of the speakers on the Talib Kweli duet “Rolling With Heat,” and the engaging pop-rap hybrid “The Seed 2.0,” featuring neo-soul rocker Cody ChesnuTT, will make hip-hop fans jump to their feet.

The album also boasts a wide selection of guest artists: Nelly Furtado on “Sacrifice,” Musiq on the smooth single “Break You Off,” and even Jill Scott on “Complexity.”

Phrenology manages to clear the high bar set by Things Fall Apart. Though the loss of Malik B affected the group deeply, the fact that the Roots were able to channel the pain and loss into something artistically worthy speaks volumes about the band’s collective state of mind and strength of character.

The Roots are a prime example of what far too many people fail to do in the face of adversity: turn a negative into a positive. Trust me, you’ll definitely dig these Roots.

The Roots, with opener Cody ChesnuTT, perform at the Orpheum Theatre, 216 State St., tonight at 8 p.m.