Madison Funk All-Stars gear up for fourth-annual shindig

For the fourth consecutive year, Madison?s Barrymore Theatre is playing host to the Madison Funk All-Stars. The concert has the beginnings of a tradition, selling out every show so far and on track to selling out this year?s show as well. The 2002 show drew an audience numbering around 700, and hopes are high that number will be matched or exceeded in 2003.

The first All-Stars show came out of an idea proposed by Mama Digdown?s Brass Band for a concert that would showcase Madison bands that practiced a distinctive brand of ?funk.? The first lineup included Phat Phunktion; that band?s members helped organize and publicize the event. The second year added Madison favorites Smoking With Superman to the list of All-Stars, and the list has grown from there.

The fourth installment bolsters the traditional lineup by adding two new acts to the bill. Newcomers Lisa G and Montage have spent the last year touring the Midwest making names for themselves. In April 2002, the band scored a major victory by taking home both Best New Band and Best Female Vocalist from the Wisconsin Area Music Industry Awards. From there, the group headed into the studio to record its new CD, On The Reel.

In addition to Lisa G and Anthony Cao?s vocals, Joy Dragland, formerly of Smokin? With Superman, will perform as guest backup vocalist. Dragland is no amateur, having studied under pianist John Harmon, vocalist Jackie Allen and internationally recognized bassist Richard Davis. Recently she toured Europe with Ben Sidran in support of her duo record with Leo Sidran.

Newcomer to the All-Star show, but most definitely not to funk, Clyde Stubblefield will be performing Friday night backed by his own All-Star band. Stubblefield?s ensemble includes names like keyboardist Ben Sidran, guitarist Leo Sidran and bassist Billy Peterson (Prince, Steve Miller).

Stubblefield worked with Ben and Leo Sidran last year to produce an album, The Original, which is slated for release on GoJazz Records this spring. In addition to the aforementioned cast, Stubblefield promises guest appearances from Al Falaschi, Paul Daugherty, ?and more.?

Of course, Stubblefield himself is no novice where funk is concerned. The drummer doesn?t need to rely on famous friends for recognition. An Internet search engine responds with upward of 10,000 results when queried with his name.

Stubblefield made his first big splash when he joined James Brown as Brown?s ?original? drummer. Stubblefield toured for years with the icon, shaping the sound that has come to be known as funk today.

Eventually, Stubblefield started gaining recognition for his own merits. He went on to tour with everybody from blues icon Otis Redding to NPR?s nationally syndicated ?Whad?ya Know with Michael Feldman.?

Over the past few years, Stubblefield has been playing Mondays at the King Club with a regular band.

Mama Digdown?s makes its fourth appearance as a Madison All-Star. The self-proclaimed ?New Orleans-style brass band? has drawn praise from across the country. The Minneapolis Star Tribune went so far as to proclaim the group ?perhaps the finest brass band outside of the crescent city.?

Going into its tenth year, Mama Digdown?s has played everywhere from Coney Island to San Diego and, of course, New Orleans. The upbeat 10-piece attempts to mix genres like R&B, hip-hop and blues into its more traditional New Orleans style.

Mama Digdown?s continues to make new music, supporting its fifth and newest release, ?Delicious: Live At The King?s Club,? but the members still remember their roots.

Not to be shown up by the other bands with which the group shares the stage, Mama Digdown?s is bringing a few guests of its own to the Barrymore. The band promises that several alumni from the past 10 years will be making an appearance, but just who these alumni are remains unannounced.

The final band to take the stage is Phat Phunktion. The immensely popular Madison band has built itself a following over the past seven years by playing clubs whenever the chance arises. Phat Phunktion has also managed to catch the ear of several influential names. Its album Higher will be re-released on the GoJazz label across Europe, Australia, Japan, and the United States.

This concert also marks Phat Phunktion?s fourth appearance as a Madison Funk All-Star, making the group the only band besides Mama Digdown?s who has appeared every year since the concert?s commencement.

While Phat Phunktion doesn?t have any announced guests, members do promise to ?pull out some new tricks … to leave you tired, sweaty, and elated.?

The whole event will be overseen by Triple M 105.5?s Jonathan Suttin, host of the Triple M Morning Show. Free 10-song compilation discs featuring music from all of the performing bands will be distributed at the door.

Madison Funk All-Stars IV hits the stage Friday, Jan. 24, at 7:30 p.m. at the Barrymore Theatre, 2090 Atwood Ave. Tickets are $13 in advance and $15 the day of the show and are available at Barrymore ticket outlets.