Madison cafes and city leaders at odds

Two of Madison’s coffeehouses are finding themselves at odds with the city as new restrictions are impacting their business.

Lindsey Lee has owned Cargo Coffee for 13 years. He said it was not until this past year that the city took issue with an orange windsock attached to the top of the building. The windsock, nicknamed “Wendy,” was recently categorized as a sign, which requires a specific ordinance. Based on the ordinance, Wendy was deemed unacceptable and illegal.

Lee said although saving Wendy the Windsock is just his business having a little fun, there is a more serious underlying matter. Lee said since Mayor Paul Soglin has been mayor, he has heard a lot more complaints from fellow small business owners who feel that the code is being over-enforced.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said he is “perplexed” by Soglin’s crackdown.

“The priorities of the mayor’s office [on this issue] are incorrect. There’s been a focus on a crackdown on sandwich boards, and signage for small business owners and the priorities of the city should be focused elsewhere,” Resnick said. “The city’s resources should be focused on poverty instead of cracking down on small business owners.”

Resnick said he would rather see the city figure out how to help small business owners thrive, rather than punish them.

Lee said small businesses have even been told they must cut back on putting out dog bowls, art or even potted plants in front of their businesses.

Moving forward, Lee said he plans to apply for a comprehensive sign plan which he believes will be approved and allow Cargo Coffee to keep Wendy the Windsock.

“I’m a big supporter of enforcing the code, I’m not a supporter of under-enforcing the code, but there is a danger in over-enforcing the code and I think that’s what has been going on in City Hall lately,” Lee said.

Lakeside Street Coffee House has some problems with the city too, owner Kate Burmeister said.

Burmeister has owned Lakeside Street Coffee House for 13 years and has been playing music at the location for about eight of them, but she said recent restrictions coming from the mayor’s office put severe limitations on the noise her coffeehouse generates.

Burmeister said the new restrictions, released in July, categorize and define different locations. For example, a business designated as a tavern must follow different ordinances than that of a nightclub.

“Because I have music two nights or more a week and I do food I’m considered a nightclub,” Burmeister said. “I understand the need [for restrictions], especially downtown, but we’re a coffee house who has for the most part folk music, classical guitar and duos.”

Burmeister said she received overwhelming support from the neighborhood and customers, including 293 signatures of support for her business and its music. She said her customers have stayed loyal, banding together and writing letters to the alders. The neighborhood association also voted overwhelmingly in her favor during polling, she said.

Burmeister said she is currently “sitting in limbo” until the Common Council meeting Oct. 7, during which the council will decide to uphold the cease and desist order or edit it in favor of Lakeside Cafe’s interests.

Burmeister said she is willing to cut louder acts from her schedule if it means she can continue with quieter performances.

“I’m certainly amenable to making some concessions and trying to make this work for everyone,” Burmeister said, “but it’s affecting my business right now.”