Freakfest 2013: The complete guide

With Halloween just more than two weeks away, Madison’s annual Freakfest festival is right around the corner. The costume party that takes over State Street expects about 30,000 attendees this year and will feature a variety of bands and DJs, said Fred Frank, president of Frank Productions, which hosts the event in conjunction with True Endeavors.

When is Freakfest?

Freakfest will be on Oct. 26, and gates will open at 7 p.m.

What are the boundaries of the event?

The main Freakfest entrances will be at the corners of North Lake Street and State Street, North Broom Street and West Gorham Street, West Gilman Street and University Avenue, West Johnson Street and North Carroll Street, West Dayton Street and North Henry Street and North Henry Street and Gorham Street, a city statement said.

Do people who live in the event zone get free admission to Freakfest?

The Madison Parks Department will issue free tickets to residents who live within the boundaries of the festival, True Endeavors promoter Tag Evers said. The tickets, which will be sent by mail, should arrive by Oct. 18, he said.

Where can people buy tickets?

Fred Frank said tickets will be available at the gates and can purchase online at TicketMaster, over the phone at 1-800-745-3000, or at a variety of local Madison businesses.

What is security like at Freakfest?

The Madison Police Department will work in conjunction with private security run by Frank Productions to monitor the event.

Security will be similar to last year with no major changes, MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said. He added the plan is always “tweaked” to address issues from past years.

Fred Frank said security will be strong at the gates and security guards will do their best to prevent any alcohol or other “unacceptable items” from being brought into the gated area.

“Everybody that comes in [to the event] goes through gates, and at the gates we have security and everyone coming through security gets pat down,” Fred Frank said. “That’s how we control that.”

Will there be a VIP section at the concerts this year?

There will not be a VIP section inside the gates this year, due to “disappointing” sales in the past, Fred Frank said. However, a VIP party will be hosted in the Orpheum featuring musical guests 3LAU, Nom De Strip, Dirty Disco Kidz and the winner of the Wisconsin Union Directorate DJ contest, which will be held this weekend at Union South. 

Evers said tickets to the VIP party also include admission to FreakFest itself, but are not included in Freakfest’s general admission tickets. 

Who are the musical guests at Freakfest?

Freakfest will feature headliners Matt and Kim, Neon Indian, Lucius, Sexy Ester and Fort Wilson Riot on the Capitol Stage.

The Gilman Stage performers include Chiddy Bang, Watsky, F.Stokes and local Madison rappers Smiley Gatmouth, CRASHprez and Lord Of The Fly with DJ *hitmayng.

On the Frances Street and State Street stage, performers Boy Blue, The Sharrows, The Living Statutes, Vic & Gab and Gabe Burdulis will perform.

Renee Frank, marketing manager at Frank Productions, said the company is also hosting a contest for a new performer to add to the lineup.

What is this contest?

Voting for the contest to find another musical guest began on Tuesday and has gathered about 6,000 votes so far, Renee Frank said. However, she said the running is still open for bands who wish to enter.

“The contest has been doing really great,” she said. “We’ve had 42 bands submit music. So there’s a lot to listen to and a lot for voters to choose from, which is really nice.”

Frank Productions will announce the winner of their contest for bands to perform at FreakFest on Oct. 24 at 4 p.m, Renee Frank said.

Is the university involved in Freakfest?

Fred Frank said both WUD and WSUM 91.7 Madison Student Radio are sponsoring the event this year. WSUM helped choose music for the Francis Street Stage this year, Fred Frank said. He added he thinks the music will be much more student-oriented thanks to the help.

Fred Frank said he is thrilled to have different organizations involved in the event.

“We’re pretty excited about the involvement this year with the WUD and participating in the VIP party at the Orpheum,” Fred Frank said. “We’re also excited about WSUM being involved. In the past we haven’t had a lot of involvement from the university, so we’re pretty excited about it.”

Updated:

Click here for our Freakfest 2013 music guide

[media-credit id=2608 align=”alignnone” width=”540″]freakfest-guide[/media-credit]