Student singer-songwriter collaborates with producer, Madison community for first EP

UW freshman Will Hoverman brings array of influences like R&B, Sam Smith to both YouTube covers, original tracks
Will Hoverman in his natural habitat
Photo courtesy of Will Hoverman
Will Hoverman in his natural habitat

While some 18-year-olds might spend their time taking selfies or mindlessly scrolling through Twitter all summer after graduating high school, University of Wisconsin freshman Will Hoverman was busy doing something much different: working on his first EP, Before Morning, filled with lyrics and sounds he had been accumulating his entire life.

Hoverman has always been surrounded by music. Growing up, his house was filled with sounds of the Beatles and Paul Simon, and the middle school choirs and high school showcases helped him grow as an artist and person.

With an eclectic and diverse sound, Hoverman draws inspiration from genres and artists ranging from indie rock to R&B. It is reminiscent of Sam Smith or Frank Ocean, but with his own distinctive vocal styling and production.

These influences are apparent in his popular YouTube covers and own original work, including his recently released Before Morning EP. The five-song set was released last month and features original songs written, produced and performed all by Hoverman and longtime friend and producer Dex Barstad. Barstad is currently a freshman at St. Cloud University in Minnesota studying music.

Barstad helped produce and mix the EP over the past six months, wanting to create an original and organic sound. The songs on Before Morning range from Black Keys-esque “Strut” to positive, upbeat “Sunshine,” with everything in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy2vd4_hdhM

“The EP was definitely a collaborative process. I guess it was unconventional,” Hoverman said. “If I had a certain path I wanted to follow, I could articulate that to [Barstad] and he could create a musical counterpart. It worked both ways. It was a very organic approach,” Hoverman said.

Hoverman took ideas to friends and family to help shape his songs and style. He describes the process as a “virtual collaboration.”  With his producer attending school in Minnesota, the two artists had to use music sharing to create the sound they were both looking for. He said he was excited that the process could be successful, even while both of them attended separate schools.

Madison has proved to be an incredible influence and motivator for Hoverman and his musicianship. When he started school this September, Hoverman was lucky enough to make it into one of the most elite musical groups on campus: the MadHatters A Cappella group. The organization allows him to stay active and keep doing what he really loves. It has also led to many opportunities to showcase his musical talent to a larger audience, including big local stages like the Orpheum and even halftime at Lambeau Field. Hoverman describes the MadHatters as a resource for advice and support, always willing to lend their talents to help him.

“I was able to bounce my ideas off of them and pick their brains,” Hoverman said. “I really respect their musical tastes and palates. They were really good to give me their first impressions and things they would change. I got really good feedback and I think it resulted in a better product.”

Hoverman’s extensive musical interests allow him to draw on different genres, like R&B and pop rock, to create a unique and catchy sound. Although he loves that his musical interests vary, he is still trying to narrow his own music to fit his personality and interests.

“The EP has a variety of different sounds,” Hoverman said. “I sort of wanted to test the waters and see what people would respond to. I got a lot of feedback and people seemed to be drawn to the more classic singer/songwriter, understated sound. It’s not set in stone, but I think I’ll chase that pulled-back approach in the future.”

This summer Hoverman is hoping to work on a new full-length album that will feature a more tapered sound unique to him. For now though, he’s focusing on studying journalism and political science, keeping up with friends and singing for the MadHatters. He’s always staying active with music, writing lyrics and collaborating with musicians.

Whether it be singing on an album, playing an a capella show at the Orpheum or simply recording a cover for YouTube, Will Hoverman will always be making music. He summed up his passion in a simple treatise:

“No other medium can make you feel as strongly as music.”