Twista sounds off on state of hip hop

twista
Formally known as Tung Twista-now sans the ‘Tung’- Twista once boasted the title of fastest rapper in the world, rapping an incredible 11.2 syllables per second.[/media-credit]

Flashing by us without a conscious realization is the undoubtedly inevitable evolution of music as talented neophytes continue paving the road of hip hop their forefathers constructed. We’re in a new era of the industry where the hip hop genre between now and two decades ago has decided to forgo aging gracefully and instead elected to undergo a rhinoplasty, tummy tuck and cohesive gel breast enhancements – not of the silicon kind.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The problem is that while making music has become easier than ever, the interweb has introduced listeners’ ears to a deluge of garbage, cacophonic products of a musically ignorant generation with merely self-acclaimed rapping talents to boot. It gets forced into our profiles and inboxes without an actual understanding or attribution to what were the origins of hip hop – the hip hop before and shortly after Twista’s generation.

Having been one of the fastest rappers in world in 1992, a repeat Billboard Chart topper and an avid fan of Cee Lo (his work with Gnarles Barkley), James Brown and Eric Clapton – so much so that “If I see him on TV I’m gonna go crazy” – Twista had a lot to say on the matter of the future of hip hop.

“As far as the sound of the music and where it’s going, I think it’s good because you’ve got artists like Drake, these new artists coming that are still keeping the older traditions of the lyrical art form,” Twista said in a recent interview with The Badger Herald. “I think it’s in a cool stage right now.”

Cool as in the electronic resurgence with Dubstep and house leading the way?

Note Britney Spears’s recent Dubstep infused single, “Hold it Against Me,” and like him or hate him, the ever growing popularity of Kanye West.

“The thing I start to enjoy about this whole electronic thing is music is starting to sound like that thing that I used to think of in my head when I thought about what electronic music sounded like,” Twista said.

What is meant by that is what some may hear as metallic screeching, lasers, base and the dissonance of low to high, vice versa alternating reverberations that may make your parents’ heads spin, we of the younger generation will call it beautiful.

Twista then turned the tables of the interview on me, only for a moment. There was a notable curiosity in his voice that lends me to believe somewhere in his mind an idea had come to fruition faster than I could say Twista.

“I was listening to that stuff in high school six years ago, but then all of a sudden college kids have become very turned on by the Dubstep and electronic trend,” I told him. “You should see the number of kids flying over to Ultra Music Festival this weekend. All I hear is Skrillex and Deadmau5. You can’t try to prevent the inevitable evolution of music, but rather should learn to adapt.”

After my two cents was said, it became evident he’s a fan of this movement. “When I hear a different song or strange sound, I’ve always been into it. That’s what’s so funny about music,” Twista said.

The interview took a more forceful turn as the vociferous rapper was noticeably worked up on a question about the difference between the young YouTube hip-hop scene and the old school days of Notorious B.I.G., Tupac and Ice-T at his prime.

“I hate it,” Twista said.

His first statement really didn’t need further explanation, but he gave more than what was bargained for.

“You know when you’re young you pay attention to life as you go. When you’re young, you just don’t give a fuck about music. But as you get older you start to really realize the importance of it. It’s crazy that all of these young kids don’t realize that all of these kids are just repeating all that.

“Like I’ll look on TV and I’ll see Whiz Khalifa with a blond streak in his hair and it’ll make me think about Kwam? with a blond streak in his hair. So to me, I think the young rappers would lose their fucking mind if they really understood the history of hip hop and how rap was performed even before me,” Twista said.

He then proceeded to substantiate his disdain by offering the future, or currently yet to mature, hip-hop artists out there a piece of advice from old school to new school. “Start to study the music more and start to use the samples from that era more, start to really build that rap so that they can really build on the tradition of what hip-hop is really supposed to sound like,” Twista said.

“As far as the sound of hip hop, I think we did a great thing with creating a new genre of music and I think it’s going to be here forever.”

Twista will perform at the Majestic Theatre March 26 at 9 p.m. Tickets are $20.