Alterra Coffee expands to caffeinate Capitol Square

ARTS-alterra_KF
If spring ever decides to stick around, Alterra’s open windows design should allow joyous fresh air to complement its stylish interior.[/media-credit]

Faithful Alterra Coffee goers who are familiar with the Milwaukee-area caf?s will be pleased to see that the new Madison location on King Street displays a similar ambiance. 

The smell of strong coffee grounds and organic foods dances through the air after entering the building. Songs with solid beats that may be unfamiliar and mysterious, yet quite relaxing, echo throughout the store, complimenting the sounds of espressos being made and milk being steamed.

A multitude of coffee beans available for purchase greet customers alongside greeting cards, tumblers and many other coffee and tea necessities, along with customary Alterra T-shirts. Green leafy plants drape the porch area in the very front of the caf? and are stationed at various other locations along the walls by the windows, adding a very simple and tasteful decor. The porch windows can be opened on nice days as the weather permits. Rustic sconces hang from the sides of the bordering windows. A few murals on the walls resemble the lakefront areas of Milwaukee, Alterra Coffee’s birthplace.

The majority of employees at Alterra have a kind of “edgy cool” vibe to them. Some have interesting hairstyles or tattoos. The cashiers have calm and sociable personalities and are willing to explain anything on the menu to a customer, whether it be input toward which blend of coffee to order or which sandwich is the most satisfying. While waiting for a drink, the baristas are more than happy to make small talk with customers while they await their orders.

Alterra’s menu consists of many items that appeal to a wide variety of customers. There are eight signs hanging directly above the registers that clearly depict what’s available to order. Also, a refrigerated case filled with pre-made salads and sandwiches is available for customers on-the-go. A huge area to the left of the cash registers is chock-full of bakery items, such as frosted cinnamon rolls, delectable croissants, crumbly scones and many more mouthwatering pastries. The food menu includes breakfast items and sandwiches with many organic and vegetarian options as well. There is also a small kid’s menu.

The shop sells a variety of coffee drinks, teas and smoothies, as well as two different seasonal brews on draft. The shop offers daily brewed coffees, blended coffees or simply make up that one favorite drink from a handful of syrups listed at the register. This Alterra has something that many usual Alterra costumers from Milwaukee may not have seen before: the Brew Bar. The Brew Bar is made up of four different options of coffee that are made to order. The coffee is steeped directly in front of customers and delivered exceptionally fresh and hot. And for those who don’t like to consume coffee in large amounts, or those pulling all-nighters, no worries. Alterra offers four different sizes: 8 oz., 12 oz., 16 oz. and 20 oz.

Alterra is a great place for everybody: families, college students, teenagers or working adults on the go. The environment is great for studying, whether you are someone who prefers big comfy chairs and couches or big tables to sprawl out your books. The opening of this Alterra is certainly a beneficial addition to the Madison community as a whole. 

Those who haven’t been to this new caf? should definitely check it out.