Forwards plowing road for women’s hockey, despite injuries

whpreview_MM
A member of that dominating first line, senior Brooke Ammerman (10) has had plenty of reasons to share hugs this season, scoring 13 goals and dishing out nine more assists.[/media-credit]

To be the best you have to beat the best, and that’s exactly what UW women’s hockey has done this season.

Recently completing one of their toughest stretches of schedule this season, the Badgers (22-2-2) drudged through some serious competition, facing No. 2 Minnesota, No. 6 North Dakota and No. 8 Minnesota-Duluth all in consecutive series. While the Badgers played both Minnesota and North Dakota away from the friendly confines of the Kohl Center, the team amassed an impressive 3-1-2 record over its last three opponents, helping the team hold on tight to its No.1 ranking.

But the motor behind Wisconsin’s solid drive through its recent WCHA series was the play and leadership of its forwards. Wisconsin’s first line, including forwards Brianna Decker, Brooke Ammerman, and Carolyne Prevost enjoyed plenty of early season success, but ran into adversity Nov. 25 when Prevost went down with a knee injury against St. Cloud State.

Ammerman and Decker have been dynamic throughout the season, as the duo helped shoulder the load during Prevost’s absence. Both have been the models of consistency and durability, playing in all 26 games this season and combining for 49 goals. The duo also leads Wisconsin with over 50 points each, including a team best 32 assists apiece.

“The line’s been good all year, so when we were missing Carolyne obviously goal production and power plays were a little different when she wasn’t on the ice,” head coach Mark Johnson said.

Back at full strength upon Prevost’s return from injury on Jan. 6 , the Badgers’ first line picked up where it left off, combining for an impressive 16 goals and 21 assists in UW’s past three series. On an individual level, Prevost has recorded five goals and eight assists, indicating the cohesiveness that exists between the three forwards.

“I think we’ve done well,” Prevost said. “Three tough series so far since we’ve been back from break. It’s been a grind. It’s been kind of like October at the start of the year. We seem to always get everyone’s best game, ever since I’ve been a freshman. So I think it helps you prepare for each team.”

As a senior, Ammerman knows the importance of remaining focused throughout the entire season, especially when facing obstacles like the injury to Prevost. The senior forward emphasized retaining that mental toughness for the duration of the season.

“I think our toughest challenge will be mentally focusing in,” Ammerman said. “I think we have all the tools to win those games, but mentally we’re going to have to get that edge.”

Johnson also stressed the importance of being mentally focused but emphasized the importance of staying healthy for the rest of the season. The Badgers hope to avoid any injuries in the coming weeks, as a late-season injury to any player would be devastating with the post-season looming on the horizon.

“This time in the season you want to stay healthy, shorten up practice a little bit and try to keep kids energetic as far as coming to the rink,” Johnson said. “They need to keep doing the little things that have made them successful up to this point and not lose track or focus.”

Prevost got lucky with the timing of her injury, as the forward benefited from the extra time off over winter break to rehab and get back into shape. While the senior missed some time on the ice, it seems as if Prevost never left, as the Badgers’ first line continues to look as dominant as ever.

“[Our line’s] just been clicking,” Prevost said. “It’s like I never left. We seem to find each other on the ice to make our line successful.”