With UMD in town, new chapter to rivalry added

WH_MM
This weekend the Badgers and Bulldogs will renew a competitive rivalry that routinely features two national title contenders. They make up the top two teams in the WCHA in goals scored and allowed[/media-credit]

Any critics looking to administer a litmus test for two of the top three teams in the country will have to look no further than the Kohl Center this weekend as No. 1 ranked Wisconsin women’s hockey team hosts No. 3 Minnesota Duluth.

The Bulldogs come in to the matchup sporting a record of 9-3, 7-3 WCHA, third behind only the Badgers and North Dakota in the conference.

Eight national championships between them makes up the fuel that continues to ignite this budding rivalry, which head coach Mark Johnson believes has really developed the last couple of years.

“They’ve got good players, they’ve got elite players, they’ve got international players. You look at our team the last several years and you could say the same things: Good players, good teams, so when we get back together and play five, six, seven, eight times a year, that’s how you create a rivalry,” Johnson said.

After last weekend’s drubbing of lowly Robert Morris University, where they put up 14 goals over the two game stretch, Wisconsin understands that the defense they will face this weekend is likely a little less anemic.

Over the first 12 games of the season, the Bulldogs have only let in 1.3 goals per game, which is 1st in the WCHA, just ahead of the Badgers at 1.67.

“They are usually pretty talented. They are a lot like our [defense]. They play close gaps, and it’s hard to beat them on the blue line; they are very dangerous,” senior winger Brooke Ammerman said.

Minnesota Duluth draws their strength from an offensive-minded defense. Laura Fridfinnson and Jocelyne Larocque can score from the blue line, presenting a unique challenge unlike anything the Badgers have seen this season.

“It’s just being aware. You take Fridfinnson who’s normally a very good solid forward player who can score and you move her back to the blue-line, she’s still a threat back there. They’re skilled players, they handle the puck well, they see the ice
well,” Johnson said.

One reason Badgers can feel optimistic about their series with the toughest opponent they’ll have played thus far this season is that they get to do so in front of the home crowd.

Wisconsin remains undefeated at the Kohl Center and fully comprehend the importance of holding serve at home.

“It’s great to have our fans behind us. The fans here in Wisconsin, everybody knows they’re awesome and it’s great to play in front of them, especially against Minnesota Duluth,” junior defenseman Brittany Haverstock said.

As the season progresses it appears that the Badgers are improving at all facets of the game. From the outset, concerns prevailed about the young defense and goaltenders Wisconsin sent out on the ice.

However, over the last few games the defense has complimented the high-powered attack that the Badgers possess extremely well, allowing only two goals in nine periods of hockey.

“Our defense has also been good, catching players from behind and playing up. If you’re not giving up any shots then you’re playing well,” Ammerman said.

If the Badgers are going to have any success this weekend, not only will the defense have to continue to play well, but the offense must continue their break-neck pace of 5.50 goals per game; especially because the Bulldogs bring a high goal per
game average of their own at 4.08, second to only the Badgers.

“They have a lot of skilled individuals so they’re going to be a fast team, and they’re going to move the puck quick. We always have to have our heads on a swivel; it’s going to be a tough series,” Haverstock said.

Johnson not only looks forward to the tough competition the team will face, but also finding out what his team is really made of this year.

“The nice thing about the weekend is that when Sunday afternoon comes along and it’s five or six o’clock, both teams will know a lot more about their squads,” Johnson said.