Badgers skate for national pride

[media-credit name=’ANDREW SCHORR/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]WH_No7_AS[/media-credit]

While the majority of the University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team works on their games in the midst of a bye week, four Badgers traveled to Lake Placid, N.Y. to compete for the U.S. Women’s Select Team in the annual Four Nations’ Cup.

After beginning their UW season at 10-0-2, senior center Erika Lawler, senior goaltender Jessie Vetter, junior forward Meghan Duggan and sophomore Hilary Knight will get a chance to help the U.S. win the gold in the event for the first time since 2003 and third time overall. From 1996 to 1999, the Cup involved only three teams, with Finland joining the two North American participants. Sweden signed on in 2000 to form the current field.

Canada has won the tournament each year the U.S. hasn’t, and Duggan said she looks forward to the challenge.

“Anytime you play Canada it’s always a battle,” Duggan said. “They’re great, great games to play in … just hard fought battles, and both teams are great. It’s good hockey, and that’s why we play.”

The Canadian team features former Wisconsin standouts Meaghan Mikkelson and Bobbi-Jo Slusar. According to Duggan, the international rivalry can make for some intense on-ice competition and awkward off-the-ice confrontations.

“Those are buddies of mine,” Duggan said. “It’s always fun to play against people you know. You go into corners a little bit harder; you start slamming around with them.”

“[But] it’s a little awkward,” continued the Danvers, Mass. native. “We’re supposed to be rivals and hating each other, but we’re really best friends off the ice. So, when they’re with their teammates and we’re with ours, it’s a little uncomfortable.” ?

Uncomfortable maybe, but none of the four Badgers participating are unfamiliar with this stage. Both Lawler and Knight will be making their third straight appearance competing for the cup, while Duggan is making her second. Although this is Vetter’s first trip to this particular tournament, the senior has represented the U.S., alongside the other three, at the last two IIHF World Women’s Hockey Championships. The team took home the gold last season.

Vetter, last week’s WCHA Defensive Player of the Week, said the midseason international tournament is a challenge that will benefit her for the rest of the college season.

“It definitely gets me to test my conditioning,” she said. “[It allows me to] see if I’m ready for that type of pace versus those type of players. And obviously it gets me ready and focused for the rest of the Badger season.”

Thus far in the college season, all four UW skaters have lived up to the expectations that come along with being selected to play for the national team. Knight leads the nation in goals (13) and game-winning goals (3), despite missing two games with an injury. Lawler leads the team with 11 assists and has moved into sixth place on the all-time Wisconsin women’s hockey points list. Duggan has chipped in four goals and eight assists for the unbeaten Badgers, and Vetter is second in the country in goals against average and save percentage.

But for one week, these four must temporarily forget about the cardinal and white while donned in red, white and blue.

“It’s awesome,” Duggan said. “I’m really looking forward to the trip It’s obviously amazing to play for the national team and see some of our national team teammates we haven’t seen in a while, so I think it’ll be fun, and it’s great competition out there.”