The Herald’s seven ‘must-watch’ games this semester

Herald File Photo

Every game the Badgers play is important, but this slate of Wisconsin athletics will be the talk of the town when UW gets ready to don the Cardinal and White for these matchups.

These seven games are a must-watch this semester.

9/5/15 — Wisconsin vs. Alabama (Football)

The Badgers open their season against the Crimson Tide in Dallas, Texas at the AT&T Stadium. The first game of Paul Chryst’s Wisconsin coaching career will mark the first time the two teams have played each other since 1928. The first game in the post-Melvin Gordon era will also give the Badgers a $4 million payout for matching up against the mighty SEC powerhouse that’s won three national titles in the last six seasons. The Badgers were 1-1 against the SEC last year, losing to LSU in the season opener and defeating Auburn in the Outback Bowl.

9/17/15 — Wisconsin at Penn State (Women’s Soccer)

The Badgers begin conference play and the defense of their Big Ten tournament championship against the Nittany Lions, a team that beat Wisconsin 2-0 in Madison last season. Penn State finished sixth in the polls last season, advancing to the quarterfinals in the NCAA tournament, while the Badgers exited the tournament in the second round after being ranked ninth.

9/26/15 — Hawaii at Wisconsin (Football)

Hayley Cleghorn/The Badger Herald

While the opponent isn’t as formidable as Alabama, the first night game in three years at Camp Randall will make for a unique atmosphere when Wisconsin takes on Hawaii. The 7 p.m. kickoff allows for plenty of tailgating and anticipation of what should be another win on home turf. The Badgers went undefeated (7-0) at home last season. The last night game at Camp Randall was Sept. 15, 2012, when the Badgers defeated Gary Andersen’s Utah State team 16-14.

9/27/15 — Maryland at Wisconsin (Men’s Soccer)

The Badgers welcome the reigning Big Ten champions, Maryland, for a noon kickoff at McClimon Soccer Complex. Un-ranked Wisconsin will be upset-minded that afternoon, as Maryland finished last season ranked 19th overall.

9/30/15 — Illinois at Wisconsin (Volleyball)

Jenna Freeman/The Badger Herald

Last year, the Fighting Illini nearly upset the Badgers at the UW Field House last season, but the Badgers stormed back to take the match in four sets. The match this season, though early in the conference schedule, could have Big Ten Title implications for the Badgers, who went 18-1 in conference play last season and look to repeat as Big Ten champions.

11/20 (Semifinals), 11/22 (Finals) 2K Classic tournament (Men’s basketball)

Jason Chan/The Badger Herald

The Badgers won their early-season tournament last season, the first of many titles, the Battle 4 Atlantis. They’ll look to do the same this season in the 2K Classic, benefitting the Wounded Warrior Project. The tournament’s semifinals and final will be held at Madison Square Garden in New York, with the possibility of a national championship rematch between Duke and Wisconsin in the tournament’s finale.

11/28/15 — Wisconsin at Minnesota (Football)

The Badgers will have to cross the border this year to defend Paul Bunyan’s axe for the 12th straight season in the Gophers’ and Badgers’ classic rivalry game. Last year, with the Big Ten West title and a trip to Indianapolis on the line, Wisconsin overcame a 17-3 first-quarter deficit to come back and win 34-24. Wisconsin has controlled the Axe for the last 11 seasons and will have no intention of giving it back in the final game of the regular season.