Women’s hockey: Badgers to take on Boston in NCAA quarterfinals at LaBahn

Thomas Cawrse/Badger Herald

The Wisconsin Badgers are WCHA women’s hockey champions for the first time since 2012, and with it comes some much needed momentum heading into the NCAA Tournament.

After riding out a somewhat shaky regular season, Wisconsin (28-6-4, 19-6-3 WCHA) is en route to its first conference title in three years, dismantling Bemidji State 4-0 in the championship game after knocking off North Dakota in the semifinals.

“We’re riding a high,” sophomore forward Sarah Nurse said. “If we continue that, don’t take anything for granted, and just keep bringing the energy every day during practice, all that, I think we can do very well.”

The Badgers earned the No. 4 seed in the NCAA tournament and are now focusing their efforts back in Madison on their newest challenge: the Boston University Terriers.

The Terriers (25-8-3, 15-5-1 Hockey East) are fresh off of their fourth straight Hockey East title and will face Wisconsin in the opening round of the NCAA tournament this Saturday at 2 p.m. at LaBahn Arena.

Having not faced BU all season, a unique task will be at hand for the Badgers.

“We’ll be watching a lot of video,” Nurse said. “I think it’s really exciting to play a new team. We play the same teams all year, and I think that a new opponent will really bring us to a new level. It will be a good experience for us.”

The Badgers are looking to begin their National Championship campaign similarly to last year. Last season, Wisconsin took on Harvard for the first time all season in the NCAA quarterfinals, winning 2-1.

“It’s going to be huge,” sophomore forward Sydney McKibbon said. “We’re expecting a sellout so the fans will definitely be there. Our fans are great, and the band will be there too. It’s going to be a very exciting atmosphere, and we’re very happy to be hosting this game.”

Defense will be critical for the Badgers, who haven’t had much experience facing teams with offensive capabilities comparable to their own, besides Minnesota.

Boston University averages 3.9 goals and 32.7 shots per game, .4 more goals but exactly nine less shots than the Badgers per game, who average 3.5 goals and 41.7 shots.

Wisconsin’s defense has sparked some anxiety in isolated moments, but is an extremely formidable unit and has surely proven so this season. The Badgers’ opponents this year average only 1.1 goals and 19.4 shots per game. Wisconsin is first in the WCHA in goals against average (1.08) and penalty kill percentage (96.5).

“I think it starts with the kids understanding what the other team is trying to do,” Wisconsin head coach Mark Johnson said. “With that hockey sense, that willingness to do some of the things as far as blocking shots, winning face offs … do some things right off the bat you can create some turnovers and get an icing.”

Winning the championship has been the focus all season for captain Blayre Turnbull and her fellow seniors, who are looking to finish out their careers at Wisconsin on top. Turnbull, along with Britttany Ammerman, Katy Josephs and Karley Sylvester, have been making tremendous efforts to educate the younger players on how different and challenging the upcoming games will be.

“We want to win,” Turnbull said. “Everyone in that locker room wants to win. I think that we’re doing everything we need to do to prepare ourselves to win that game, and that starts with working hard in the weight room, on the ice and buying into the team’s systems. I think everyone is prepared mentally and physically to get back there.”

The winner of Saturday’s game between the Badgers and Terriers will advance to the Frozen Four in Minneapolis to take on the winner of top-seeded Minnesota and Rochester Institute of Technology.