Thompson sticks out as UW’s unconventional middle blocker

Dominique Thompson is one of the shortest middle blockers in the conference, standing just 5-foot-11. So while sheer size doesn’t bring all the excitement of blocking spikes at the net, her passion and enthusiasm shine the second she steps on the court.

Thompson came to Wisconsin as a 2010 AAU Junior National All-American, named the best blocker in the 18-Open Division at the 2001 National Junior classic. Her success carried over to Wisconsin as she played 57 matches through her first two seasons, starting 42 of them before redshirting 2012 with a foot injury.

Thompson bounced back this year, starting all 20 matches and recording double figure kills in 10 of those matches.

“She is a tremendous athlete,” head coach Kelly Sheffield said. “This is the hardest sport to be out a year, she’s still dealing with her injury. But that positive spirit in her, coming in ready to go every day has been her biggest quality.”

Thompson’s athletic abilities come as no surprise. She comes from a family of athletes and volleyball runs in her blood. Her mother played at Iowa from 1986-1989 while her aunt Jenifer Thompson also played there from 1987-1991. Uncle George Thompson played volleyball at Pepperdine from 1987-1991. Her father Darrell Thompson also played football for the Green Bay Packers for five years in the 1990s.

As an upperclassman, she is transitioning into a leadership role with the team, especially given that Wisconsin has only two seniors this season.

“Her leadership is her enthusiasm and passion for the game of volleyball, her teammates and life,” Sheffield said.

As a leader, Thompson feeds off the Wisconsin fans. She said the enthusiasm brings a whole new energy to the game and pushes her to perform at her absolute best.

Freshman Haleigh Nelson, who also plays middle blocker, loves the energy Thompson brings.

“She is always ready to play, she’s a go-getter,” Thompson said. “She is never satisfied; always looking to do better, try new things and work on new skills.”

Nelson sees Thompson as an inspiration and someone who is always pushing the freshman as well as other teammates to achieve her best. Thompson is learning to accept this role as leader, but looks at it in a nontraditional way.

“I’m the behind-the-scenes motivator to some people,” Thompson said. “But hey, I’m a goofball just joking around and lightening the mood.”

Sheffield admires her work ethic and said it was obvious she enjoys what she does. Although she’s on the shorter side, Thompson shocks the volleyball world with her booming presence on the court. She still towers above most, but falls inches below the 6-foot-3 girls that dominate the spiking game.

“She has less room for error than anybody else. She has really got to make the right lads and the right moves and she’s gotta win with speed rather than size. I think she is a handful for people,” Sheffield said with a smile.