Johnson reaches milestone; UW clinches WCHA title

After splitting this weekend's series with the University of Minnesota, the Wisconsin women's hockey team secured their first WCHA title in the program's history.

The Badgers defeated the Minnesota Golden Gophers 3-1 on Saturday after losing by the same score Friday night. The loss on Friday night was the second loss in a row for the Badgers after they had lost to St. Cloud State the previous weekend. The two losses resulted in the first and only losing streak Wisconsin has had all season.

The Badgers were aided by North Dakota, which managed an upset victory over the University of Minnesota-Duluth on Saturday, in clinching the conference championship.

The victory over Minnesota also marked the 100th win for head coach Mark Johnson, who is the only coach in the history of the women's hockey program to compile 100 wins.

"I was happy for the team," Johnson said. "Obviously, getting 100 wins anywhere is a positive thing, but the credit goes to players and the coaching staff and the dedication they have."

Johnson was also very pleased with how well the Badgers performed on Saturday after the loss on Friday.

"I was happy with our ability to compete and really battle out there," Johnson said. "Tonight [Saturday] we did that for 60 minutes and we got rewarded for our efforts … we won a lot of battles out there and we just competed harder … I'm just very happy with the way we played tonight."

"I thought we came to play today, that was the biggest difference," junior defender Bobbi-Jo Slusar said. "On Friday, I thought we were just chasing them around and playing mostly their game … I'm glad we rebounded to win."

The Badgers certainly did play like they wanted the win on Saturday. Wisconsin had a significant advantage in total shots on goal and kept the puck in Minnesota's zone for several long stretches over the course of the game.

Wisconsin opened the second period with a flurry of offensive attacks on Minnesota goaltender Brittany Chartier. A goal did make it into the back of the Gophers' net less than a minute into the period but was taken back because an official had already whistled.

The Badgers finally broke through when Slusar pinched up towards the Gophers' net during the power play and sneaked a shot past Chartier. WCHA points leader Sara Bauer had the sole assist.

The Badgers would score again later in the period when sophomore forward Jinelle Zaugg netted her 21st goal of the season, but Gopher sophomore forward Erica McKenzie added a power-play goal just before the end of the period.

Senior forward and team captain Sharon Cole would score in the third period when she redirected Slusar's shot from the point. It was Cole's 13th goal of the season and Slusar's 23rd assist.

Wisconsin played a far more physical game on Saturday in comparison to Friday. UW defenders Meaghan Mikkelson and Kristen Witting both received roughing penalties when they went after Minnesota players who became physical with or were harassing Badger freshman goalie Jessie Vetter.

Friday's loss was a game of bad luck and missed opportunities. Wisconsin had numerous quality scoring chances throughout the game but couldn't score until the final minute of the third period, when the Badgers had a 6-on-4 advantage due to a power play and pulled goalie.

"I think we just weren't getting the bounces on Friday," Cole said. "The puck just seemed to bounce straight to their stick. We weren't finishing well and the puck just wasn't going into the net. Things just didn't go our way."

Despite the lackluster performance on Friday, the Badgers remain very optimistic. Their brief losing streak is over, Johnson has his 100 career victories and the WCHA title is secured.

The Badgers play next weekend against the Minnesota State Mavericks at the Kohl Center in what will be the Badgers' final regular season home series. The puck drops Friday at 7 p.m.