A dream playoff system

I've been ranting about this ingenious idea for years and it's about time I've made it public — there should be a NCAA Division I-A football playoff.

I know ESPN's "College Gameday" proposed the idea Saturday morning — between shots of the Southern and Grambling band warming up — but I've had this thought for quite some time.

The idea is simple. It's the perfect blend of BCS and fairness. It should please Pete Carroll and Tommy Tuberville, as well as thousands of diehard college football fanatics.

The playoff system should include the top-eight BCS teams in a three-week playoff battle with one school taking the out-right nation's best bragging rights.

Think about it. There will be more football. There will be no post-season whining about sharing a national title. Economically schools will receive more profits and bookies will obtain more bets.

Players might be opposed to the idea, as former college quarterback and ESPN commentator Kirk Herbstreit was. After all, a longer postseason does increase the risk of injury. Player's feelings aside, here would be my ideal playoff scenario.

Week 1: USC vs. Oregon and Penn State vs. Virginia Tech in bracket uno. Texas vs. Notre Dame and LSU vs. Ohio State in bracket deux.

Hold on to your matzah balls. Undoubtedly the speed of Reggie Bush would out-chase the Ducks by a large margin of victory. USC advances.

Michael Robinson against Marcus Vick isn't even a comparison. Sorry Joe-Pa. Linebacker U would fail in this matchup. VT advances.

The South would rise against the Midwest in the battle between Texas and Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish have been doing exactly that all season — fighting. Too many close games for Notre Dame. Longhorns spear the Irish. Texas advances.

AJ Hawk is good, really good. He does not like to lose and neither do the Buckeyes. LSU's SEC ride ends. Ohio State advances.

Week 2: USC vs. Virginia Tech and Texas vs. Ohio State.

The battle between offenses. East Coast vs. West Coast. Matt Leinart vs. Vick. The game that will have thousands drooling and celebs taking sides.

USC will start the game out strong, but Bush will hit a wall. Vick will accumulate more all-purpose yards than Bush and Leinart combined. Carroll's fantasy ride will collapse. Tech advances.

The rematch. Longhorns against the Buckeyes. Offense vs. defense. Week two featured the first-ever matchup between both schools. Ohio State controlled the first half, leading by three at halftime, however Texas — thanks to the gift of Vince Young's cannon of an arm — prevailed in the end, beating Ohio State by three. This time around will be no different. Texas hooks the Buckeyes and advances to the championship.

Week 3: Virginia Tech vs. Texas (this has been my fantasy since week one). The battle between the multitalented QBs. There is nothing more exciting than watching a quarterback scramble for a run and sidearm a tackle, especially when it's an 80-yarder as Young accomplished early in the season.

Throughout the year both of these teams have looked similar. At times Texas has looked stronger and at times Tech has looked stronger. This is the ideal college football situation that will have most critics in a nutshell, even this one. How can you decide a victory when both teams are equally matched? Sure, Texas has the better quarterback, but Tech has the better running back. And, in my opinion, defense is equal.

It's a game that will end in overtime, no doubt. It will be similar to the 2002 BCS championship game that featured Ohio State against Miami.

Since I'm predicting this faux game — it will linger into overtime, the kickers will determine the outcome of this championship.

Both kickers have missed three to date. Tech's kicker has kicked a 45-yarder, the longest of the season and a yard longer than Texas' kicker. However, Texas' kicker is a senior and will triumph if given the opportunity — which he will.

Texas wins the playoff.

Though this was all a dream, it could be a reality. It's fair, exciting and competitive. In this country, we desire to have more. We always want more. So, what's wrong with wanting some more football?

If you like Shannon's dream or want to share some dreams of your own, e-mail her at [email protected].