Picking MLB Playoffs

That's right folks, The Badger Herald just can't seem to find a spot for me in the rotation. Originally a No. 4 starter writing on Fridays, to open the season, I've been tossed around the past two weeks finding some time on Wednesday last week, and this time gracing the pages of our Thursday edition.

I know you're all sad the "The Tommy Gun" isn't in its normal spot, but you can find plenty of Mr. Ziemer's musing in "Fantasy Fever" — just turn back a few pages. I'm sure it will be every bit as psychotic as it usually is (that Ziemer kid has lost it). But I digress.

Since I've opened my article with a baseball theme, why don't I just continue the trend? Sure, it may be a day late (just like most papers I've written in my three years here) and I've enjoyed the luxury of at least catching the box scores of last night's opening round of playoff games, but I figure better late than never. So today I'm here to offer you a few playoff predictions of my own. Without further adieu, check out my choices for this year's divisional series match-ups.

The 'Lou vs. The Swinging Friars: I'm going to have to back track on this one. I loved the Padres to open the season. I thought they had a set of solid young pitchers in Jake Peavy, Brian Lawrence and Adam Eaton. Throw in closer Trevor Hoffman and a pitcher-friendly ballpark and, in my opinion, San Diego would run away with the West, and maybe even be a surprise National League contender. I'm a man, and I can admit I was wrong, so I'll say it. I was wrong.

The Cardinals embarrassed the Padres in game one, and with the game's best hitter sitting in the middle of the lineup, they're near impossible to stop — especially in crunch time. No one's buying into the idea San Diego could be the most dangerous team because they have nothing to lose, especially not the Cards. This series is just an embarrassment.

Prediction: the 'Lou in a sweep, 3-0

The South-Siders vs. the Reigning Champs: Want a sure sign the BoSox are done — Scott Podsednik is jacking home runs off this staff. Scotty Po hasn't hit a bomb since his days as a Brewer, not something you want to see if you're a Red Sox fan. But in all seriousness, Chicago is going to be a tough team to beat. Sure they fell apart in the second half, but they've rebounded nicely in their final 10 games, going 8-2 including a sweep of surging Cleveland to secure their American League Central crown. Boston's pitching isn't the same as it was last year, and despite the presence of David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez in Boston's lineup, the ChiSox have a good enough staff to carry them through.

Prediction: South-Siders, 3-1

The Evil Empire vs. the Halos: I never could pick the Yankees, but this year I have a reason. Pitching. To say the Yankee's staff has been a patchwork crew is an understatement this year. Guys like Aaron Small and Chien-Ming Wang have been OK, but are hardly battle-tested, especially in postseason play. Ditto for Shawn Chacon. Mike Mussina and Randy Johnson are always dangerous, but in a league where results matter more than reputation, neither has played to the caliber they're accustomed to.

The Angels rotation is nothing to shout about either, but they've been consistent all year and have a decent amount of playoff experience. Throw in Vladimir Guerrero, K-Rod and home field advantage and the Halos have a damn good shot to pull this off. Not to mention they have history on their side as well.

Prediction: Halos in a wild one 3-2

Bobby's Boys vs. the 'Stros: The Braves have been nothing but special all season. The exploits of Bobby Cox and his staff are well documented, and his work with a litany of rookies gracing his roster is nothing short of miraculous. Yet, it's hard to believe Atlanta can win this series. Houston is a veteran team with a trio of top-flight pitchers in Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and Roy Oswalt. The majority of their roster is not only experienced, but also used to the pressure of playoff situations. That being said, I'm picking the Braves anyway. Yes they play with a ton of inexperienced talent, but they also possess solid pitching and the Joneses, Andruw and Chipper. I don't know how, but somehow Cox will bring this squad to the National League championship series.

Prediction: Bobby's Boys in a tight series 3-2