Sorgi speaks loud and clear

Badger quarterback Jim Sorgi cleared his injured throat and spoke up Monday addressing the controversy surrounding his incident with Ohio State linebacker Robert Reynolds.

Sorgi, who left the game after a blow to his Adam’s apple from Reynolds during the third quarter of UW’s victory over Ohio State, told the media that Reynolds called him Sunday night to discuss the altercation.

“He apologized to me, we talked about it, and I accepted his apology,” Sorgi said.

While Sorgi stated that Reynolds made a mistake, he added that he could relate to the emotions that Reynolds felt.

“I know how things get during the game,” Sorgi said “It’s a sign of a man when you can make a mistake like that and call and apologize for it.”

Sorgi made sure to steer clear at Monday’s press conference of suggesting any punishment for Reynolds’ actions.

“I’m not sure what’s going to happen,” he said. “It’s out of my hands. It’s up to the Big Ten and the NCAA, and I’m sure they’ll handle it accordingly.”

Head coach Barry Alvarez echoed Sorgi’s statements about what the appropriate punishment should be, saying that it wasn’t his decision. Alvarez expressed his strong desire to move on from the entire situation.

“I don’t really want to talk about that,” he said. “We won a big game last week, and we have a big game this week. I’m in the business of preparing for Purdue and I want to get my team prepared [to play] a very good football team this week.”

In preparation for Purdue, Alvarez wants to ensure that there is no let down from the team after Saturday’s big victory.

“You have to be careful when you expend so much emotion into one game,” Alvarez said. “Win or lose, you have to move on.”

Alvarez stressed the importance of keeping his team grounded after its big win.

“Things are never as good as they seem or as bad as they seem,” he said. “Reality lies somewhere in between. People are telling you what a great game you played, but you just need to think a few weeks back to what the same people were saying.”

Alvarez wants his players to remain focused on Purdue as the team enters next Saturday’s battle of the Big Ten unbeatens.

“As coaches, we have to get our game plan in and let our guys absorb that,” Alvarez said about what his staff needs to do. “We have to push the right buttons to get our players ready. What’s important now is preparing for the Purdue game.”

The Badgers must prepare for a Purdue team that is strong both on the ground and through the air. Under the guidance of head coach Joe Tiller, the Boilermaker offense, which once featured quarterback Drew Brees in a pass-heavy system, has evolved into a balanced attack.

“They have expanded their offense,” Alvarez said. “They can line up with two tight ends and run the ball. They can also have five wides with an empty backfield and throw the ball all over the lot.”

Purdue’s offensive versatility makes its unit tough to defend.

“Game to game they change,” Alvarez said. “They can be physical and run it or spread you out and throw it depending on what they think is the best matchup.”

The Boilermakers have also shown of their stout defensive unit this season.

“They have a sound scheme and they execute it well,” Alvarez said. “They are coached very well, and they are extremely fast. Their front seven is very comparable speed-wise to Ohio State.”

Alvarez also commented on the strength of Purdue’s secondary. “They have maybe the best pair of safeties in the league,” he said. “They are very active and they do a lot of different things. They are well schooled and are very athletic.”

Alvarez appeared very optimistic that the Purdue defense will have to face running back Anthony Davis this week, as he should return to the UW starting lineup.

“I thought Anthony was going to play Saturday,” Alvarez said. “He still felt uncomfortable cutting one way, though, so Saturday afternoon the coaching staff decided to hold him out. I would expect him to practice this week and hopefully he’ll be 100 percent.”

As for Sorgi, Alvarez expects him to be ready to go.

“Jim will be fine,” he said. “He was taken to the hospital, and his vocal cords are okay.” Sorgi also said that he felt good.

“Physically, I’m fine,” said Sorgi. “We’re moving on, we’ve got another big game coming up this week. With Gameday coming here, I’m sure the atmosphere will be just like it was this weekend at the Camp.”