UW sees coaching changes

Tegen to step down

Peter Tegen, the only coach in the history of the University of Wisconsin women’s track and cross-country programs, will retire following the 2003-04 season. The 63-year-old Tegen has coached more All-Americans than any coach in Wisconsin history. He was named Big Ten coach of the year six times for track and nine times for cross-country. His final season will be his 30th year at the helm for the Badgers.

Women’s track names new assistant

Tegen has announced the addition of Loreena Anderson to the staff as an assistant women’s track coach. The 41-year-old Anderson has been the head women’s track-and-field coach at Hamline University in St. Paul, Minn., for the past seven years. She was the 1983 Big Ten javelin champion at the University of Minnesota and qualified for the 1984 Olympic trials.

Westerman returns

Former University of Wisconsin tennis star Danny Westerman has been hired as an assistant coach for the men’s tennis team. While at UW, Westerman had a 92-53 singles record from 1998-2002. He was a three-time all-Big Ten pick, and a team co-captain for 2001-02. Westerman is a native of Los Angeles.

Schuman hired

Jim Schuman has been named as the new head coach of the Wisconsin men’s golf team, replacing the retired Dennis Tiziani. Schuman had been serving as the head golf professional and director of instruction at Hawks Landing Golf Club. The 39-year-old Madison native was an All-American at the University of Florida in 1986. Schuman played on the Australian PGA tour for one year, and from 1990-94, he played on the Nike and Ben Hogan tours.

Endicott named assistant

Schuman selected William “B.J.” Endicott as an assistant coach. Endicott is a 2001 UW graduate and has been working as assistant golf and teaching professional at Hawks Landing Golf Club.

Schofner joins staff

Head women’s rowing coach Maren LaLiberty has announced the selection of Mary Schofner as assistant coach. Schofner comes to Wisconsin from Rhode Island, where she has served as an assistant coach for the past two years. She will coach the women’s lightweight varsity.