Offense under control with Bollinger under center

Brooks Bollinger was not too eager to assume responsibility for Wisconsin?s 34-28 win over Iowa.

The quarterback, who is now 22-5 as a starter, stepped in after sitting out most of two games — both Badger losses — and led UW to a much-needed victory, with the team one loss away from missing its first bowl in five years.

But after the game, the three-year starter thanked his offensive line, the Badger receivers, running backs Anthony Davis and Jerone Pettus, the defense, quarterbacks coach Jeff Horton, the rest of the coaching staff, team trainers, his mom, his dad, Jim Sorgi and Cuba Gooding Jr.

That was the way it seemed, anyway, as the junior captain handed credit to everyone but himself.

The effort did nothing to prevent the acclaim other Wisconsin personalities poured over Bollinger during the post-game.

?He?s really the centerpiece of what we do,? offensive coordinator Brian White said. ?It?s nice to see him out on the field leading us. His physical abilities certainly are outstanding and at times very underappreciated, but his leadership qualities really make him a special player.?

The ?leadership qualities? apparently made the difference after the Badgers suffered two high-scoring defeats to Illinois and Michigan State under Sorgi, the sophomore backup quarterback. Bollinger displayed exceptional command of the offense, getting five different receivers involved and accounting for 13 first downs.

It was the second time this season his insertion into the lineup rejuvenated the offense and brought the Badgers back from two consecutive losses. On Sept. 22 in a win at Penn State, Bollinger rushed 23 times for 112 yards and a touchdown and was 58 percent passing in his first game since Aug. 25.

Saturday, the UW quarterback added to a series of successful games against Iowa. Last year, Bollinger passed for a career-high 292 yards in Iowa City and in 1999 he rushed 13 times for 111 yards against the Hawkeyes as a redshirt freshman. In his career, Bollinger has a 69.5 completion percentage against Iowa for 698 yards and four touchdowns.

Bollinger contributed 302 yards of total offense and threw and ran for scores, despite a still-sore groin. Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez declined to offer a percentage of Bollinger?s capabilities with the injury, but it limited the number of quarterback rollouts coaches included in the offensive game plan.

Junior receiver Lee Evans found a way to gauge his teammate?s effort, if not his health.

?Every time he?s out there, you?ll get 100 percent from him,? Evans said. ?His motor?s always going. And to do it through pain is even more. He was out there competing like there was no tomorrow, and in a sense there wasn?t.?

Belitnikov bound? Evans drew closer to a Big Ten-record for single-season yardage with 175 yards on seven receptions. The effort gave him 63 catches on the year, a school record and 1,363 for the season, just 73 yards less than David Boston?s conference mark set in 1997.

In the fourth quarter, though, with a chance to ice the game, Evans was called for a hold that negated an Anthony Davis touchdown. Subsequently, Mark Neuser missed a 26-yard field goal. Alvarez said he is unhappy anytime his team is flagged as a player runs into the end zone, and Evans was equally upset.

?It was a bullshit call,? Evans said with a smile. ?I know that. I think the ref knows that.?

When Wisconsin held on to win, the junior?s outstanding afternoon overshadowed the controversial penalty. Evans increased his lead over the nation?s other top receivers and improved on his school records.