Bowl bid still alive … for now

There was something different in the McClain Center following Wisconsin’s 34-28 victory over the Hawkeyes.

While Barry Alvarez’s post-game press conferences are usually filled with reporters grumbling about cancelled bowl trips and struggling to create a new story angle about how the team blew a lead, there was a light-hearted feel in the McClain dining hall on Saturday.

The media were upbeat, the bowl representatives from the Citrus and Outback Bowls actually hung around after the game, and Alvarez had legitimate praise for his team.

The same atmosphere carried over to the weight room where the players appeared to address post game questions.

Instead of slowly walking into the weight-room-converted-to-interview-room with grim faces, fully anticipating the same questions they’ve heard so many times before (“Where does the team go from here?” “Can the team bounce back from this loss?” “What does this do to your bowl chances?”), the players were able to relax and enjoy the feeling of a win.

“It’s nice to come in here after a ‘W’ and seeing [the media] because I don’t have to be all straight faced,” senior linebacker Nick Greisen said. “I can crack a smile once in a while.”

The reason for this happiness isn’t just because the Badgers won a game and evened their record at 5-5. It’s because they kept their bowl bid hopes alive.
The reason for this happiness — or relief — is UW’s survival of the first of its three must-win games.

While many counted this team out, criticizing the two-game losing streak, the Badgers showed why they are not yet dead.

Offensive coordinator Brian White even gave a sarcastic interpretation of what is being said about his football team.

“The coffin has been shut,” White said. “The obituary has been written.”

By beating the Hawkeyes, Wisconsin increased the chances of extending its lifeline to a possible postseason bid. However, the euphoria from this victory will wear off and the reality will show that the outlook is still vaguely grim.

While Wisconsin won the game against Iowa, they didn’t put the Hawkeyes away with the authority that shows that this is an improved squad from the one that lost five games this season.

The Badgers did play four consistent quarters — a goal that Alvarez set coming into this week’s game. Moreover, the defense was effective when it needed to be and caused crucial turnovers.

But the game was still not put away until the clock wound down to zero, when Nick Greisen ended up with the intercepted pass in his hands.

A win is a win, but the Badgers still need two more before the postseason is a more realistic option. And one of those wins must come against Michigan. The Badgers now have two weeks to prepare for the Wolverines due to a bye this weekend, but 14 days is not going to diminish the talents of Michigan.

Nonetheless, Wisconsin is going to bask in this current victory and worry about the next two must-wins later.