Women thirsty for goals, wins

Stepping up and making the play has been the main focus for head coach Dean Duerst and the Badger women’s soccer unit this week. After UW (0-2 Big Ten, 3-3-1 overall) dropped two games last weekend, going scoreless in both, Duerst is thirsty for a Big Ten win.

With Michigan State (0-2, 3-3-1) boasting an identical record and having been held scoreless also, UW will get the chance to ruin the Spartans’ home opener today. Duerst and his staff are looking to rid themselves of the donut in the W column. UW has centered their week on MSU, feeling it is a must-win.

“We have to focus in on Michigan State; really, that’s our full emphasis,” Duerst. said. “Michigan State has struggled to score goals. (Our goal is) to go after them and put them down early.”

UW will have the chance to put the hurt on hated Big Ten rival Michigan Sunday.

Michigan (1-1, 3-4) has three serious scoring threats at the forward position.

“Michigan is a little bit more athletic and dynamic,” said Duerst. “And those three players can do damage to anybody in the country. I predict that these games will be close.”

After failing to get their first win and place a goal just one week ago, UW has shaken up the lineup a bit in hopes of curing the ailment. Duerst has done what he can in practice and is now calling on his team.

“The biggest thing is showing more composure,” Duerst said. “We need to execute in the final moments. What we have asked for this weekend is for people to step up and get the job done.”