Penney leads countrymen into Goodwill consolation

Wisconsin junior guard Kirk Penney has played an integral role in leading New Zealand to a 2-1 record in the preliminary round of the Goodwill Games, which are currently being held in Brisbane, Australia.

This is the second time in as many years that Penney has played on New Zealand’s national basketball team, also representing his country in the 2000 Summer Olympics.

Penney has started all three games for the Kiwis, averaging a team-leading 14 points and 29 minutes per game. He erupted for 23 points in New Zealand’s 84-79 overtime upset of Brazil. In New Zealand’s opener, an 89-64 thrashing of Canada, Penney chipped in with 13 points and five rebounds. The Kiwis’ only loss of the round-robin preliminary round came against Australia earlier today. Penney was held to six points in the 81-62 loss.

New Zealand’s 2-1 record earned it a share of first place in Group B, but Australia and Brazil advanced to the medal round based on point differential. The Kiwis will now face Cuba (0-3) in the consolation round Friday (at approximately 6 a.m. CDT). The winner will face the winner of the Mexico/Canada match-up Saturday.

–Compiled from wire reports