Letter to the Editor: The world we inherit depends on our vote

Students have responsibility to participate in November election to combat climate change
Emily Kriner-Woodworth

In 2020, many of us understood that our best hopes were dashed for far too long as young people as our elected leaders failed to take meaningful action to protect the environment.

But experience also taught us that it’s not enough to complain about climate change. If we want to save our lives and future, we must do something about it. We needed to show up to vote for candidates that embrace the need to fight climate change and vote. We did in 2020, in record force. We played a significant role in electing a Democrat in the White House and Democratic majorities in the House and Senate that delivered on the Inflation Reduction Act — the most aggressive action to tackle the climate crisis in our nation’s history.

The Inflation Reduction Act — which passed the House and Senate without a single Republican vote — invests more than $370 billion over ten years to help industry and consumers transition from fossil fuels to cleaner energy sources. Whether living in university housing, sharing an apartment or staying at home, young people can take advantage of the $9 billion in consumer home energy rebate programs.

Letter to the Editor: UW must recenter disabled perspectives in academia

Young adults, including recent graduates, will also have the opportunity to choose from millions of good-paying clean energy jobs that the Inflation Reduction Act helped create.  The new law puts us on a path to 40% emissions reduction by 2030 while restoring U.S. credibility to lead climate action on the global stage.

We managed to achieve all that because we turned out in 2020. Still, so much work remains. Historically, however, in a midterm election, voter turnout is lower, especially among young people and individuals of color who face disproportionate hurdles in making their voices heard at the ballot box.

Our vote in 2020 proved we have the ability to change what’s possible. In 2022, we must defy history once again. But, far more work remains. Just as climate change doesn’t take time off from an election cycle, neither can we. The stakes in 2022 could not be higher.

Letter to the Editor: Access to abortion care is a matter of educational equity for Wisconsin students

Young people can play a decisive role in influencing the Wisconsin governor’s race, Senate race and control of Congress.

I challenge my fellow college students throughout Wisconsin to join me in checking their voter registration, finding their polling place and pledging to vote in this fall’s election.

As young people, we have the power to do far more for the planet, but only if we vote.

Margaret Keuler ([email protected]) is a senior studying political science and the chair of College Democrats of Wisconsin.