UW seminar on medicine highlights challenges of the field

Whether students typically take all the advice from their doctors or don’t, University of Wisconsin students gathered to hear professors from multiple schools of medicine at the Discovering Careers in Health Care and Life Sciences seminar, held Monday as the first part in a seven-lecture series.

Gathered at the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery, students curious about pursuing a career in medicine heard from a number of representatives about practicing and teaching in health fields. The lecture was designed to include helpful real-world testimonial. Speakers detailed their lifelong passions for studying health-related issues and helping others.

While some of the speakers expressed optimism about the future of their study, most raised several concerns about the changing climate of the field.

Among these concerns was the rising cost of health care, which some speakers said was reaching the point of crisis.

Kurt Hansen, assistant dean of admissions at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health, said he sees a government unable to create change without first being pushed by dramatic events and advised students studying medicine to be aware of the needs of their patients above all else.

Members of the seminar emphasized the importance of finding careers they would be passionate about and not just careers they could merely learn to tolerate for the rest of their lives.

Robert Goldmann, an assistant professor in the School of Medicine and Public Health, said he decided to study psychology as an undergraduate after being fascinated by a medical journal on the subject.

“I figured if I was going to read a journal about one thing for the next 40 years, it might as well be something I’m interested in,” Goldmann said.

UW professor of vascular surgery Gretchen Schwarz said before she knew she wanted to become a surgeon, she had strong desires to focus her study on the health of the homeless. As she explored other potential fields of study, she also discovered a desire to relate to people on a more personal level.

“What I really enjoy is talking to patients and hearing what’s important to them,” Schwarz said.

Speakers each cited different reasons for choosing their current work with medicine. UW professor of surgery Herbert Chen said his father’s work in the field influenced his decision, but he nevertheless pursued the profession that suited him best.

The advice of the speakers was not limited solely to the pursuit of studying medicine in the future. Assistant clinical professor Heather Johnson said when an individual finishes the workday, the most important thing should be their family.

Chen said the families of individuals in medical fields must often learn to cope with the long hours associated with such careers.