Senate approves higher authority for state superintendent

The Wisconsin state superintendent will have more authority to intervene in struggling schools after the state Senate approved a bill Thursday designed to turn low-performing schools around.

Under the bill, state Superintendent Tony Evers would have more authority and new accountability powers in intervening with the state’s lowest performing schools.

“With an outcome of 18-15, all the Senate’s Democrats were happy to see Wisconsin making the first right step in education reform, especially in the Milwaukee School District, which has the lowest 5 percent of schools in Wisconsin” said Eric Peterson, spokesperson for Sen. Lena Taylor, D-Milwaukee.

The vote came down on party lines, with all 18 Democrats voting to approve the bill and all 15 Republicans voting against it.

Sen. Mary Lazich, R-New Berlin, said the bill does nothing for education reform in Wisconsin.

“The bill does not do anything to enhance student learning; in fact, it makes it so there is no leverage for principles and teachers to improve the individual education of their students,” she said.

According to the bill, if a school district is in need of improvement for four consecutive years, the state superintendent may direct the school board to implement a new curriculum. Furthermore, the state superintendent may also direct a new instructional design and support additional student services within the district.

“With this bill, if the teachers aren’t providing professional and quality instruction, they will be replaced with teachers who will,” Peterson said.

Prior to the passing of the bill, the state superintendent had the power to withhold state aid to schools, giving schools incentive to provide a stronger learning environment.

“Withholding money is the most power that the state superintendent will have over school districts, this bill doesn’t do anything except eliminate the tenure for principles and teachers,” Lazich said.

According to Peterson, the bill would aid the Wisconsin educational system in helping its application for federal Race to the Top funding, which are competitive grants giving to states that show innovation and reform in the quality of education.

“This amendment would address several of the specific issues highlighted by the reviewers of the state’s Race to the Top application,” Sen. Spencer Coggs, D-Milwaukee, said in a statement.

The bill will now move to the state Assembly, where it will be considered on Tuesday.