Walker says he would like to extend flexibilities to UW System

Gov. Scott Walker would support increasing flexibility for all University of Wisconsin System schools but the means to do so now lies with the state Legislature, according to a UW System official.

Walker has already indicated the biennium budget to be released today will provide the University of Wisconsin with greater autonomy to deal with coming budget cuts. Other UW System schools have asked for similar changes for themselves, and UW System spokesperson David Giroux said Walker has expressed a willingness to grant these requests.

Cullen Werwie, spokesperson for Walker, said more information will be available on UW funding and flexibility when the governor introduces his budget today.

“All UW campuses are going to face serious financial challenges and all UW campuses need tools to face those challenges,” Giroux said.

He added Walker’s budget was printed weeks ago, and though it is too late to insert provisions that extend flexibilities to all the system’s schools, it was heartening to hear Walker advocating for those changes publicly in an interview Sunday with “Upfront with Mike Gousha.”

“Hopefully it sends the right signal to the Legislature so that we can get the tools we need,” Giroux said.

Since the budget bill is already drafted and slated for public release today, the Joint Finance Committee and the Legislature would be responsible for amending the budget bill to give each UW System school similar flexibilities.

Judith Burstyn, UW chemistry professor and chair of the University Committee, said she has heard estimates of state funding reductions of 10 to 15 percent.

Although critics claim Walker’s decision to include only the Madison campus in the budget shows preferential treatment, Giroux said Walker approached other UW institutions to discuss their needs as well.

“I know he had a couple conversations with UW System President [Kevin] Reilly and representatives of the UW System,” Giroux said. “He visited many campuses and spoke with their chancellors.”

The Madison campus and other UW System schools seek flexibility to deal with state-mandated approval procedures that make campus institutions “Byzantine mazes,” Martin said in a presentation to the Board of Regents last Friday.

She said it is difficult to pursue responsible operation while allowing time to go through some 25 steps required to get approval for one new purchase or to hire one person.

Beyond Martin and Provost Paul DeLuca, no one has seen excerpts of the governor’s budget bill and details remain speculative, Giroux said.