Worazola exits Congressional race

Dane County Treasurer Dave Worzala withdrew his bid in the race for a U.S. congressional seat Tuesday, saying his campaign made an important impact on the other candidates.

Worzala, who was in the running against Rep. Kelda Roys, D-Madison; Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison; and local attorney Matt Silverman for Wisconsin’s 2nd Congressional District, currently held by U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., announced his withdrawal Tuesday in a statement.

“After careful consideration, I believe the time is not right for my candidacy,” Worzala said in the statement. “I want to thank everyone who has supported and encouraged me.”

Worzala said in the statement he refused to accept donations from political action committees and encouraged a “clean campaign pledge” in an attempt to prevent negative campaigning in the race.

He added he believed his decision to refuse PAC donations influenced other candidates to follow in his footsteps.

“We must make government work for the people and not special interests,” Worzala said in the statement.

Roys released a statement in response to Worzala’s withdrawal that thanked him for his stance against PAC donations.

She said his attitude toward campaign donations was something she admired. 

“I commend Dave for his integrity in confronting the problem of how we fund our elections and the increasing corporate influence on our democracy,” Roys said in the statement.

She added in the statement she is hopeful Worzala will continue to act as a “progressive leader” in the Dane County community.

Pocan also released a statement congratulating Worzala on running an admirable campaign free of negative energy. 

“I congratulate Dave Worzala on a clean and positive campaign. Dave’s promise to run a campaign is a testament to his integrity,” Pocan said. “As the only other candidate in this race with extensive experience in government, I believe [his] ideas brought an invaluable perspective to this campaign.”

Worzala spokesperson Jake Breymaier said Worzala will continue to serve his term as county treasurer.

According to University of Wisconsin political science professor Donald Downs, Worzala’s decision to step down may not have a significant effect on the congressional race.

Downs, who is a Badger Herald adviser, said the key issues that will be addressed in the Congressional race include government size and reflections on President Barack Obama’s time in office.

“The Republicans are going to claim that, especially if he gets a second period in office, Obama is going to suffocate the private sector with regulation,” he said. “They are going to say he is going to increase our debt, which he has already done a lot of. The Democrats are going to claim that the Republicans protect the wealthy too much.”