Contentious wetlands bill heads to Walker’s desk

Building on wetlands will be easier under legislation approved in the State Assembly Tuesday, despite opposition by Democrats.  

According to an analysis of the bill, developers would be allowed to submit mitigation outlines, or outlines for developing on wetlands in a new area, with their permit applications. It also establishes a system where the developers would either have to create new wetlands equal to the amount they destroy or pay the Department of Natural Resources to protect other wetlands throughout the state.

The bill now heads to Gov. Scott Walker, who confirmed in an earlier statement he will sign the bill. 

After the bill’s passage in the Senate, Rep. Louis Molepske, D-Stevens Point, objected to the passage and requested a roll call vote on the bill. 

A roll call vote requires each member of the Assembly to vote on the bill individually so that each vote is recorded, instead of a general yes or no system used for less controversial bills.

“This is a big deal,” said Molepske. “We just passed the most significant downgrade to the Wisconsin wetlands in the history of the state on a voice vote because Republicans are too afraid to go back to sportsmen and -women in their district and tell them how they voted.”

After standing informal for more than an hour after the objection, the Assembly returned to session and Molepske retracted his objection, requesting others to take a closer look at the votes that would be recorded later. 

Several Democrats voiced discontent with the bill’s possible environmental effects before its passage.

Democrats held a press conference Monday to discuss the possible dangers of the wetlands bill with regard to the effects it will have on obtaining and paying for flood insurance in Wisconsin.

Rep. Brett Hulsey, D-Madison, said wetlands are nature’s sponges, and they store water that would otherwise flood certain vulnerable areas of Wisconsin. He said after these more frequent flooding situations, the taxpayers would have to pick up the tab. 

During the session, Hulsey proposed an amendment to require a risk assessment of flood damage that may be caused by a proposed mining project, but it was tabled. 

Rep. Fred Clark, D-Baraboo, said the DNR already approves 93 percent of applications before the 30-day deadline. He said the bill sets up scenarios for the DNR to make bad decisions without enough information.

“We’ve debated this bill before and members ought to be clear before we cast a vote,” Clark said. “This bill is a solution in search of a problem. There is not a permitting problem with wetlands in this state.”

No Republicans spoke in support of the bill before its passage. 

In a statement released a week ago after the bill passed the Senate, Sen. Neal Kedzie, R-Elkhorn, said the bill restores the original intent of the mitigation program and maintains a balance between environmental protection and economic development.   

Kedzie said he has monitored the DNR mitigation program over the last 12 years and believes this bill modernizes the law in a way that best serves the process.