State high court upholds collective bargaining legislation

The Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled Tuesday to uphold the legislation that eliminates collective bargaining rights for most public unions.

The 4-3 decision, announced around 4:30 p.m., eliminated the need for GOP legislators to pass the provisions limiting collective bargaining for a second time.

Even though the court has ruled, the logistics still have to be announced and the Secretary of State has to publish the act, Mikalsen said.

Republican Senate and Assembly members voted last week to enact an extraordinary session beginning Tuesday morning that has different rules than the originally scheduled session.

The extraordinary session makes procedures move a little faster but was unnecessary, said Charles Franklin, a University of Wisconsin political science professor.

“There is no pressing legal urgency to pass the budget,” Franklin said. “The Republican leadership really wants to wrap things up and get out of town.”

According to a Legislative Reference Bureau publication, there have been only six extraordinary sessions since 1977, which was when the Legislature adopted the rule permitting a call for such a session.

But Democrats see the maneuver as another push to pass unpopular legislation and circumvent traditional procedures.

“We’re seeing that we’ve being called into extraordinary session. It appears to be, again, part of the strategy that anything can happen and things can be rushed through with little or no scrutiny,” Donna Seidel, D-Wausau, said at a Monday press conference.

Recall elections for six Republicans might have been the initial reason for the extraordinary session, Franklin said.

However, according to the Government Accountability Board, Tuesday was the last day candidates could register for the upcoming recall elections. No Republican primary contenders entered while at least two Democratic candidates appeared on each ticket.

Having no opposition gives republican incumbents almost two months to canvass in their districts by turning the original recall election date of July, 12 into a primary election and moving the final election to August, 9.

General opposition to widespread cuts of public services, education and health care in the biennial budget bill brought out protesters from public service and trade unions to march around the capitol.

The height of the crowd reached 2,500 according to Division of Emergency Management Communications Manager, Lori Getter. Three arrests were made: One for disorderly conduct in the chambers and two for drug paraphernalia.