Doyle increases state superintendent input

Gov. Jim Doyle signed a bill into law Thursday which would grant the state superintendent more authority to intervene in Wisconsin’s lowest-performing schools, all of which are in Milwaukee.

The new law would allow Wisconsin State Superintendent Tony Evers to step in and direct the local school board to take action in low-achievement school districts, such as implementing a standard curriculum and create academic support programs for students. Evers could also implement further reforms in districts that have been struggling for four consecutive years.

“This new law is a comprehensive set of reforms that sets a much-needed focus on turning around our struggling schools,” Doyle said in a statement. “This is a good law that will move our system of education forward and address the most important goal — improving the education our kids receive.”

By law, MPS is specifically required to take additional actions, including creating a plan to address aging school buildings and facilities and putting together an annual budget for each of the district’s schools. They would also be required to develop educational and social support programs and create an alternative way for students to graduate who have fallen behind.

University of Wisconsin educational policy professor Michael Apple said he believes Evers will step in more now he has the authority, although it will have to be negotiated.

“Something has to be done about Milwaukee schools, but I think that the issue is not easily [handled] just by changing administrative rules,” Apple said. “Most educational achievement is determined by income.”

Apple added things like an absence of good jobs, decent housing and good food programs make a huge impact on the achievement level of MPS students.

Much of the opposition to the bill came from groups that feared it could lead to a loss of control in their school districts, Apple said. Although changing administrative power may help struggling schools, people need to recognize there are many elements that contribute to low performance in these schools.