Controversial Clean Energy Jobs Act pioneered by Gov. Jim Doyle was also delayed

The state Assembly was slated to take up Gov. Jim Doyle’s landmark green energy bill Tuesday, which would reduce the state’s greenhouse gas emissions and gas and electricity consumption levels.

The bill–which had not reached the Assembly floor as of press time at 4:00 a.m. Wednesday–calls for a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions to 2005 levels by 2014, and to 75 percent less than 2005 levels by 2050.

Under the bill, state energy consumption would also be lowered and the amount of renewable resources in utilities sold by electric providers would be increased. A Climate Change Coordinating Council would be created to give recommendations on environmental and energy policy to the governor and state Legislature.

The bill would, among other things, make substantial changes to energy efficiency standards in utilities, requirements for nuclear power plants and vehicle emission standards. It would also provide grants and other financial assistance to local municipalities across the state to implement energy reform policies.

According to a statement by Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, the Public Service Commission estimates the bill would save energy consumers $1.4 billion and will create more than 15,000 jobs.

Not everyone has been supportive. The bill has ignited much controversy in the Legislature and with lobbying groups across the state.

The Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce Association released a statement Tuesday stating their opposition to the bill because they believe state residents will end up paying higher utility bills and taxes.

“Now is not to the time to heap job-killing regulations on Wisconsin businesses that are struggling to survive. The Legislature should focus on making Wisconsin more competitive, not less competitive,” James Buchen, WMC vice president of government relations said in the statement.

Republican legislators expressed frustration with the bill after Democratic representatives failed to approve amendments they had offered in a committee meeting last week that would put greater emphasis on nuclear power.

“Despite the public relations by Governor Doyle’s Public Service Commission to build support for this very expensive legislation, there are two very important and indisputable facts,” Rep. Mike Huebsch, R-West Salem, said in the statement. “Wisconsin electric utilities will have to spend approximately $15 billion to build or buy renewable energy and utility customers will pay at least $10.5 billion in new energy efficiency taxes.”

The PSC has estimated the bill will save $1.2 billion over 15 years in energy costs for consumers, according to a study released last week.

At a public hearing on the bill in February, Rod Nilsestuen, secretary of the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection, said he strongly supports the bill as a critical way to advance the state’s agricultural development and address climate issues.

Nilsestuen added if the state is going to reduce its dependecy on oil and coal, the state needs to ensure farmers and businesses can get the loans and resources they need to invest in biofuels and other green energy activities.