City Council puts Mifflin Park progress on the back burner to explore new site

Council avoids immediate threat of condemnation, passes square foot license fee for sidewalk cafes
Kiyoko Reidy

City Council voted Tuesday to place the plans for the Mifflin neighborhood park on file, and passed an ordinance that would place a license fee on sidewalk space for cafes.

Mifflin park put on hold

When a potential new site for the proposed Mifflin Park came into play earlier this week, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, opted to halt the progress of the initially proposed site.

Alternate site for downtown park halts possible Mifflin property condemnations

A property owner came forward, showing interest in selling several parcels close to the initially proposed park. This would allow the city to create the park without having to take any properties by force, Verveer said. The council unanimously voted to place the initial plans for the park on file.

“If this site works out and ends up being a good one, then it provides what will hopefully provide a very positive turn of events that will lead to development of a new neighborhood park for less money and in less time,” Verveer said.

Community members spoke out against the condemnation of houses at the initial site on Mifflin Street at Tuesday’s meeting. Many called for greater transparency in the process, saying there was too little dialogue between the city and property owners.

Property owners in the initial site are, for the time being, free from the immediate threat of condemnation. Assessing the alternative site will likely take at least two months, Verveer said.

Sidewalk cafes pay for space

The council also passed an ordinance that would impose a per-foot license fee for all sidewalk cafes. Prior to this, sidewalk cafes paid for the sidewalk space based on the number of chairs that can be seated in the cafe area.

In 2016, the fee will be $4.50 per square foot. In 2017, it will be $5, and in 2018, $5.50. This new licensing fee will result in a $54,322 increase in revenue for the city in 2018, according to the legislation.

The cost per square foot will likely eventually reach $13, resulting in a $198,167 increase in revenue annually. These increases in revenue will be geared toward providing better services and experiences for pedestrians in the downtown area, according to the legislation.