Committee recommends purchase of land for downtown homeless day shelter

Critics oppose lack of public involvement in process
Erik Brown
90 day stay limits and capacity issues challenge shelters in the community in cold weather

A resource center designed to provide basic services and shelter to homeless individuals passed an early obstacle Wednesday when the Homeless Issues Committee voted to recommend purchasing the designated land.

The shelter, which will be located at 1326 East Washington Ave., will offer daytime shelter and services to Madison’s homeless community. The center is expected to provide services like private showers, storage space, haircuts, laundry facilities, among other things.

The committee introduced two amendments to the proposed document, the first of which would create a staff team to work with the community and county staff. The goal of the team would be to address community concerns about the project as well as make sure county officials are informed. The second amendment to the proposed document would allow the building to potentially be used for other purposes than just a resource center.

Dane County aims to open new homeless shelter

Those in favor of the center spoke about the coming winter, and the desperate need for homeless housing and services in Madison.

Supporters called for more money to be spent on providing the homeless with services, especially with the city money going toward projects like Judge Doyle Square.

Committee member Ronnie Barbett called the homeless situation in Madison an “emergency.”

“We have an emergency situation,” Barbett said. “The details can be worked out later. Winter is here.”

City Council approves $200 million Judge Doyle Square project

Those in opposition spoke of the rushed process, lack of public involvement and close proximity to an established day care. In an effort to expedite the development of the shelter, some of the initially proposed public involvement did not occurred.

The county announced the potential location of the day center before the surrounding neighborhoods had a chance to voice their concerns.

Ald. Marsha Rummel, District 6, expressed concerns about losing the trust of the community by not including them in the process.

“I think it is really fundamental as an elected official that the trust issue is so strongly put forth,” Rummel said. “If we don’t have trust, that’s really bad news.”

Even members who support the resource center expressed serious concerns about the process, or lack thereof.

Committee member Bradley Hinkfuss admitted there has not been enough conversation with the community. He also emphasized that this center will not be open this year, regardless of how it proceeds.

“This property is not a lost cause,” Hinkfuss said. “I have a strong interest in this moving forward as quickly as possible. But it is important that we allow some of the processes to go forward not only out of respect for the people, but also because we will get a better end product.”

The resolution passed in a 7-2 vote.

The County Board will be the next to hear and decide on the issue.