Vilas Zoo adds female lion cub

Shortly after the unexpected death of a chimpanzee last week, Henry Vilas Zoo gained a new animal for one of their most popular exhibits.

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi announced the arrival of Shakura, a two-year-old African lion from Sedgewick County Zoo in Wichita, Kan., in a statement released Thursday.

Dane County Supervisor Chuck Erickson cited two main reasons for Shakura’s placement at the zoo, emphasizing the transfer of the animal was mainly to keep the species in existence for as long as possible.

The Lion Species Survival Plan, which according to Dane County Executive spokesperson Carrie Springer is an organization that genetically pairs animals in order to maintain the health of a species, specifically paired the young female lion with Henry, a seventeen-year-old lion at the zoo, the statement said.

Animals are genetically paired with animals from different zoos and often transferred by the Species Survival Plan in order to maintain healthy populations of the species, Jeff Halter, deputy director of the Henry Vilas Zoo said.

The zoo’s male lion, Henry, has been diagnosed with renal failure, which is common in older big cats. However, the disease is manageable through diet and close monitoring by the staff, according to the statement. Shakura was paired with him as a result of the excellent care he has received from the zookeepers and veterinary staff, the statement said.

Additionally, Erickson said another reason for the transfer is Henry’s advanced age. Shakura brings a welcome energetic personality to the exhibit and is a good example of the species for the visitors to see, Erickson said.

“Everyone likes to see new animals,” Springer said. “[Shakura] is a very young and energetic and playful lion, so I think the public will really enjoy seeing her.”

Erickson added zoo staff feels Shakura will help attract new visitors.

The zoo gets new visitors for any number of reasons, but the introduction of a new resident will certainly help because it is a key exhibit, Erickson said, adding the larger animal exhibits, such as the lion exhibit, help maintain viewership and number of visitors every year.

“It is definitely an asset to the community. People love it,” Erickson said.

Halter said Shakura arrived in Madison approximately three months ago and the lions are currently taking turns being outside when the weather is nice.

Although Halter said the animals are not affected by the weather as much as some would think, Springer said the lions go out less in the winter than at other points in the year.

Springer said the zoo makes adjustments for the wintertime, such as inserting a heated rock in the lion exhibit, in case the animals get cold.

In the winter, however, the lions are able to go outside and play because they enjoy playing in the snow, Halter said.

He added Henry and Shakura are in the process of getting to know each other and will interact after some time in hopes of eventually breeding and having cubs.