Student suffers fractures after attack on Langdon

A University of Wisconsin student suffered several facial fractures after being attacked on Langdon Street early Thursday morning.

Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the male victim, 20, was treated at the hospital for a broken nose and fractured cheek. He said even though the victim’s injuries were not life threatening, they are not considered minor.

Two suspects involved in the incident fled before police arrived, DeSpain said. He said one suspect would most likely be charged with substantial battery and the other with party to a crime of substantial battery. He added these charges are similar to the suspects in the Montee Ball attack last summer.

DeSpain said police are still looking for the suspects and their vehicle. A statement from MPD said one suspect is a male, 20-29 years old and 6- to-6-foot-1, while the other is a male, 20-29 years old and 6-foot-2 to 6-foot-3.

According to the statement, witnesses said the two suspects were driving a car and nearly hit a pedestrian crossing Langdon Street. DeSpain said a nearby group thought the car was coming too fast down the street and yelled out at the people in the car, who then hit their brakes and backed up into the driveway.

DeSpain said the two suspects were confrontational with the group, and while there are different viewpoints on what happened, it is clear one got into a wrestling match with someone and the other punched the student who was injured.

He said the amount of crime is typically not as high on Halloween as during the Freakfest event, which took place last weekend.

“I think there’s a certain amount of partying that takes place on Halloween itself, but certainly not to the degree of Freakfest,” DeSpain said.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said this incident seems fairly isolated. He said it is something that could happen any night.

Resnick said even though there are not police surveillance cameras where the attack happened, nearby camera footage could be useful in trying to locate the vehicle as it drove off.

According to Resnick, the primary focus of the incident is to locate and arrest the individuals, especially because of the injuries the victim suffered.

“This is a pretty disturbing story,” Resnick said.