Madison prepares to honor 9/11 victims

This Sunday will mark the 10-year anniversary of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and the city of Madison is coming together to commemorate a day in American history that will never be forgotten.

This Friday, the Madison Police Department and the Madison Fire Department have coordinated a charity golf outing to benefit Tuesday’s Children.

Tuesday’s Children is a non-profit family service organization started by family and friends of 9/11 victims to assist every family who lost a loved one in the terrorist attacks.

“Sergeant Chalecki and I organized the charity,” MPD detective Cindy Buechner said. “We researched existing 9/11 charities and decided that Tuesday’s Children would be the best beneficiary for the golf outing.”

Buechner said the outing has been an annual tradition, but this is the first year it has been organized in conjunction with the MFD and the first time it has been organized for a 9/11 charity.

This charity is open to the public and will take place at 9 a.m. at the Yahara Hills Golf Course in Madison. At 8:45 a.m. MPD Chief Noble Wray will speak on the event’s impact.

On the day of Sept. 11 at 7 a.m., the annual Ironman triathlon will begin and continue until noon.

MPD is also hosting a special ceremony on Sept. 11, bringing together many of the city’s own heroes in it’s law enforcement agencies, fire departments and military units.

MPD Spokesperson Joel DeSpain said because Ironman is taking place earlier, a contingent of people in law enforcement is coming from across the country to compete on behalf of those who lost their lives on 9/11.

DeSpain said a number of registration slots were reserved for law enforcement, and they will be participating wearing special jerseys with the names of people who lost their lives in the attacks. He said a law enforcement official has already arrived from Canada for the event, and there are people coming from Colorado as well as other places.

“We’ve always had a ceremony in the past,” DeSpain said. “There’s so much going on in the city this year to commemorate it, it is probably going to be better attended.”

DeSpain said in addition to a number of new speakers, the event will include a rifle salute by MPD’s Honor Guard, a bell ceremony by the MFD Pipe and Drum Band and a possible flyover by one of the Wisconsin Air National Guard’s Fighter Wings.

The ceremony will also be open to the public and will take place at 10 a.m. on the rooftop of the Monona Terrace Convention Center.

DeSpain said there will be a special commemorative ceremony and walk held by the Wisconsin National Guard at the Capitol building earlier that morning at 7:30 a.m.

Gary Lewis, director of the Bethel Lutheran Church Choir, has also organized a 9/11 commemoration with a music program to be held at the Overture Hall stage Sunday at 3 p.m.