Madison urges for federal chromium-6 limits

waterutilityboard_MH
Members of Madison’s Water Utility Board agree Tuesday night we need to have federal limits on Chromium-6 for our water supplies to keep Wisconsinites safe.[/media-credit]

In light of the Environmental Protection Agency’s release of chromium-6 contamination levels found in drinking water across the country, a city board met Tuesday to request the federal government put stronger policies in place.

Hexavalent chromium, or chromium-6, is a metal listed by the EPA as a likely to cause cancer in humans, though reevaluation of its effects is ongoing.

Madison tested four wells and found chromium-6 levels ranging from .4 parts per billion to 1.79 ppb, Tom Heikkinen, general manager for Madison Water Utility, said at a meeting of the city’s Water Utility Board. The EPA deemed Madison the fourth- highest contamination level in the nation.

Currently, no legal limit for chromium-6 in drinking water exists, board member Dan Melton said.

However, the EPA has begun reviewing toxicology data to start the lengthy process of setting a legal limit, board member Greg Harrington said.

Heikkinen said the utility speculates the contamination is natural because the metal was found in four wells spread out through the city.

Heikkinen also said the EPA’s lab tests have shown chromium-6 to be toxic in very large doses for lab rats. He said the toxic amount of the metal from the tests he reviewed was around 10,000 times higher than the city’s contamination levels.

“People have to understand that whenever a [maximum contaminant level] is published, the number is very conservative,” Heikkinen said. “People believe the number becomes the border between safe and unsafe, but it’s not a magic number.”

Board member Madeline Gotkowitz said without a standard limit or understanding of the dangerous levels of chromium-6 contamination, the nation has no context of how high Madison’s 1.79 ppb level is in reality.

In response to the discovery, the board unanimously approved of writing a letter to EPA administrator Lisa Jackson in support of setting a maximum contaminant level to monitor the requirements of chromium-6. The letter will also be forwarded to Sen. Ron Johnson, Sen. Herb Kohl and Rep. Tammy Baldwin.

Some board members, including Ald. Larry Palm, District 15, questioned the effectiveness of sending such a letter.

“I’m a little wary of sending a bare boned letter indicating support for something the EPA is already doing,” Palm said. “We need to be more proactive and set a standard encouraging appropriate testing methods.”

While the board debated the letter’s impact, Melton said the letter might add another voice to encourage state representatives to seriously consider the issue. He said publicly stating the board’s position would also reassure residents of their desire for safe drinking water.

“It’s important to let Lisa Jackson know she’s not out on a limb here,” Melton said.

Harrington estimated the standard process for setting a maximum contaminant level in the EPA could take anywhere from five to 15 years. He said following a toxicology profile, the agency has to analyze multiple factors, including the most effective treatment technologies and the national cost impact.

The board’s ultimate goal is to relay to water consumers their concern with Madison’s chromium-6 contamination, Gotkowitz said. She said the board aims to ensure the city of their support of setting a legal limit to which they will comply with when released.