Crime in Brief

Disturbance: Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

A Madison police report said a Madison man was arrested Monday afternoon after plans to play his guitar in front of the City County building went awry.

According to the report, 49-year-old Jay Limestahl became angered and attempted to throw his guitar at a passing car. After missing the car, he began yelling and repeatedly smashed the instrument to pieces in the middle of the street.

According to the report, officers stopped Limestahl after an attempted escape on a bicycle. He admitted he had been drinking and apologized, saying he did not mean to scare anyone.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the event was unusual because most alcohol related incidents occur at night, not mid-afternoon.

“Sometimes people who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs do some irrational things,” DeSpain said.

Retail Theft: West Towne Mall

After being caught for shoplifting at West Towne Mall, two women were chased in the parking lot and fought two officers Friday afternoon, a police report said.

According to the report, one suspect was arrested after slapping and punching an officer in the face while the other managed to escape.

The woman who fled bit the other officer, drawing blood. She then bumped the officer with her car while escaping. The officer suffered multiple abrasions from the hit, the report added.

Weapons Violation: Baird Street

Baird Street residents reported hearing several shots of gunfire Sunday night near Madison’s south side, another police report said.

After hearing the shots, witnesses said they saw two groups of young men running away. Police said a parked car seemed to have been hit by some bullets.

The report said there were no injuries, and no arrests have been made.

Mugging: Troy Drive

Two Madison men were mugged by a group of teens on Troy Drive Saturday night, a Madison police report said.

A group of four teens attacked the men from behind asking for money, the report said. The men turned around only to be punched again. The teens split with two suspects pursuing each victim.

According to the report, the 24-year-old victim readied himself to fight his two attackers only to scare them away. After the two suspects fled empty handed, the other two decided to flee as well.