Subcommittee proposes to eliminate 365-day rule from ALDO

ALDO_SG
Pamela Bean, a citizen member of the alcohol subcommittee, discusses the two amendments proposed to the Alcohol License Density Ordinance at Thursday\’s meeting, where they ultimately passed one onto City Council.[/media-credit]

Revenue percentages from alcohol sales and time limits on finding new tenants for establishments were the focus of amendments to the city’s Alcohol License Density plan at Thursday’s meeting of an alcohol subcommittee.

The density plan — passed in 2006 — was designed to maintain or gradually reduce the number of alcohol licenses downtown. The cap on licenses was intended to reduce crime to improve downtown safety.

The density plan is set to expire in October unless renewed by the City Council. In light of its potential expiration, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the Alcohol License Review Subcommittee on Downtown Alcohol Issues and Ordinance’s goal throughout the coming months is to amend the plan.

Alcohol License Review Committee members, business owners and area residents discussed two amendments drafted by Madison’s Central Business Improvement District to the density plan.

One amendment proposed by the BID would eliminate a provision limiting property owners to 365 days in securing a new tenant.

Opponents said the window is unrealistic for property owners, particularly in the current economic climate.

After extensive discussion, the committee agreed to repeal the clause.

“I don’t think we’re prepared at this point to put a number on it,” committee member and University of Wisconsin senior Mark Woulf said. “All we know is that one year is not enough.”

Several community members voiced support for maintaining the ordinance, saying it is essential to downtown safety.

An additional amendment proposed eliminates a provision, which denies businesses taking in more than 25 percent of their revenues from alcohol sales. Eliminating the percentage, supporters said, would create more options for entertainment establishments.

“Our aim is to provide enough flexibility in the ALDO to allow property owners to secure or retain quality licensed establishments with responsible operators and diverse entertainment options,” BID Executive Director Mary Carbine said.

The amendment was not passed, but tabled due to lack of conclusion on what percentage would be appropriate. The amendment repealing the 365-day rule will now move onto the City Council where it will be voted upon before going into effect.