UW students organize ‘Black O’Clock’ Day of Solidarity to kick off Black History Month

Event aimed to bring campus community together, support racial diversity
Courtesy of commons.wikimedia.org

African-American Student Academic Services encouraged University of Wisconsin students, teachers and staff to wear all black and join the Black Lives Matter Movement Monday for the Black O’Clock-Day of Solidarity.

The UW black community prepared this event to kick off Black History Month, a national remembrance of important events in African-American history.

Karla Foster, Black O’Clock-Day of Solidarity organizer and AASAS coordinator, said their goal is to help black students feel welcome in the UW community.

“We are holding this event to support black, African-American students on campus in solidarity to let them know that people are aware of the injustices and micro-aggressions that they deal with on a daily basis,” Foster, said. “It’s a day of support and black pride.”

Because we are in a collegiate climate learning about both past and present race-related political and social issues, Foster said, it is important that the campus come together to address these issues as one body for the greater good of society.

Regarding the importance of Black History Month on campus, Foster said she urges all students to support their peers and people of color in order to create a welcoming environment.

“We want to first and foremost establish a system of self-pride, encouragement and community building amongst the African-American community,” Foster said.

Black O’Clock was the first of many events AASAS has planned, Foster said. The organization is bringing Rahiel Tesfamariam, former Washington Post columnist and social activist, to campus to talk about black millennials and the new Civil Rights Movement Feb. 18. In addition, AASAS is hosting a movie night at the Memorial Union Marquee Theater Feb. 8 and Body Positivity and Black Sexuality Paint Night Feb. 20.

Foster said all are also welcome to join the social media campaign with the hashtag #BlackOclock.