Semester that was: Campus reacts to Hookstead letter questioning ‘rape culture’

Following a letter to the editor printed in The Badger Herald dismissing the concept of “rape culture,” the University of Wisconsin community responded in a campus-wide debate.

While the conversation initially elicited negative attention and reactions, many engaged in the campus-wide conversation. Aly Jarocki, president of Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment, said the letter was proof a conversation was necessary and that there were people around campus that agreed with David Hookstead’s views.

While 25 percent of college women are impacted by sexual violence, less than 10 percent of sexual assaults on campus are reported. While conversations about rape culture were constructive, University Health Services Director Sarah Van Orman said to combat rape culture, community members have to take action on an individual level.

Students should not tolerate jokes about rape and sexual assault, refrain from using degrading terms towards women and be aware of any precursors to sexual assault and dating violence, Van Orman said.