Student club highlights world hunger with 6-hour fast

UW club, Famine Fighters’, event takes time to reflect upon the severity of world hunger.

Following a challenge from a University of Wisconsin professor to make a noticeable difference in the world, a group of students created UW Famine Fighters, a club looking to address world hunger.

The club hosted its first event Sunday, a six-hour-long fast, in hopes to become a registered student organization. Kala Drake, a student member of Famine Fighters, said the student group focused on world hunger because it affects many citizens both locally and globally.

One in eight people are currently suffering from undernourishment, Drake said.

Drake said UW Famine Fighters aims to build a force to educate and create a network of continued support and volunteering for the issue. The student leaders hope to have the “six-hour famine” be their major annual event and have smaller food pantry and donations throughout the year, she said.

UW Famine Fighters also aim to bring students together to help them make personal lifestyle changes, provide them with involvement opportunities and service projects to promote involvement, Drake said.

Drake said the club benefits the UW community by getting many people excited and motivated about helping others. Many people do not see the struggles of hunger in their everyday life, which is what the Famine Fighters hope to bring to everyone’s attention, she said.

“We might not be able to change the world in one day, but everything we do can make a small impact. We can help those that are in need — it may not be in one day but if we dedicate some time it will go a long way,” Drake said.

Modeled after the 30-hour famine, the “six-hour famine” asked people to pledge to fast in order to feel the pain of being hungry, Drake said.

The event was free but welcomed donations to go toward World Visions Actions in Africa Food Fund, Drake said.

During the six-hour famine, the community participated in interactive activities and heard from keynote speakers, including a talk from a representative from Second Harvest in Madison, and creating Thanksgiving food packages, which will be donated to River Food Pantry in Madison, Drake said.

Two Madison food pantries were involved in the event, Drake said, adding that their presence helped create a close sense of support within the UW community. Many local food vendors and businesses, such as Fresh Market, Wal-Mart and Steve Brown Apartments donated food.

According to Drake, the group set a goal to make 50 food baskets for families in need.

Kylie Te, a member of UW Famine Fighters, said she hoped the event would make the issue of world hunger more visible.

“There is not enough awareness in Madison about this issue, we feel the need to raise this awareness to the community, and it is a very important vision that we want to actualize,” Te said.