UW freshman dies unexpectedly

University of Wisconsin freshman Cassidy Fritsch died unexpectedly Wednesday Oct. 9, according to a statement from the university released Saturday.

Fritsch, 17, was a resident in the Greenhouse Residential Learning Community in Aldo Leopold Hall and an Illinois native, a UW statement said.

Fritsch arrived at UW with a track record of academic success and had already joined several student organizations in the first couple weeks of the semester, including the Veterinary Science Club, the statement said.

Fritsch was studying German and was a skilled musician. She played oboe, piano and picked up bass at UW, the statement said.

According to the statement, any students in need of counseling or support during this time should contact University Health Services.

UHS Director Sarah Van Orman said UHS provides a 24-hour line that students can call to talk to someone, or students can walk in during businesses hours to speak to someone face-to-face.

If students are more deeply impacted, they can meet with someone in UHS several times for counseling, Van Orman said.

UHS has already met with some groups of students already, Van Orman added.

Van Orman said when dealing with death, having a variety of feelings is normal. She said feelings can change over time, which means people can think they are doing okay and then a week or two later they may start to feel more impacted.

These are normal reactions, but it helps to talk about it and reach out to UHS, parents or friends, Van Orman said.

A visitation for Fritsch will take place on Sunday, Oct. 13 from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Monday, Oct. 14 from 9 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. at Hitzeman Funeral Home, 9445 W. 31st St., Brookfield, Ill., according to the statement. A funeral service will follow on Monday, Oct. 14 at 9:30 a.m., with mass held at 10 a.m. at St. Louise de Marillac Church in La Grange Park, Ill.