3 detained after reports of shots

Three suspects are in custody, and nobody appears to be injured, after reports of shots fired in the University Houses area Tuesday night.

The University of Wisconsin Police Department detained three persons of interest Tuesday after responding to multiple calls that reported shots fired in the area, according to a UWPD statement. None of the three people seem to have any connections with the university, the statement said.

UWPD locked down a perimeter in the area, as well as the UW Hospital, but a UW spokesperson said a little after midnight, it was being reopened.

The ongoing investigation started around 9:30 p.m., when UWPD received the calls, and at about 9:36 p.m., UWPD was already talking to persons of interest, the statement said. UWPD then took two persons of interest into custody and started searching for a third, according to the statement.

UW sent out a WiscAlert around 10 p.m. warning students to “stay away from the area.” UW then sent out another alert saying police were looking for a black male wearing a red and black flannel who was heading west from the area.

UWPD found shell casings at the scene and detained the third person of interest at 11:29 p.m., according to the statement.

Around midnight, UW sent out another WiscAlert giving an “all clear” and thanking people for their cooperation.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said he was not aware of the details about the investigation. He called the incident a “very rare occurrence,” especially in the Eagle Heights area.

“This would be the first major incident [in the area] in my recollection over the last eight years,” Resnick said.

Last month, there was a shot fired outside The Frequency, a music venue close to the Capitol. And last May, a gunman fired shots into a crowd outside Johnny O’s and Segredo on University Avenue, injuring three. None of those properties are on the UW campus. 

Police departments from Shorewood Hills, the City of Madison, the Town of Madison and Monona helped UWPD in their investigation, the statement said.

The UWPD statement “urged” any UW Housing residents to call UWPD at (608) 262-2957 if they have any information.