ASM committee tables MCSC budget

A University of Wisconsin’s student government committee met Thursday for the debate of the budgets for two student organizations, ultimately tabling the budget of the Multicultural Student Coalition and passing the other.

After several hours of debate, Student Services Finance Committee representatives voted to table their review of the fiscal year 2013-’14 budget for MCSC. 

At the budget hearing Monday, MCSC presented a reduced budget from the $1.3 million they submitted last year. 

SSFC voted to freeze funding for MCSC for 52 weeks after ruling that the organization had intentionally violated university policies with regards to training contracts. The freeze will expire in April 2013, and the group will regain its funding with the approved budget for the upcoming fiscal year.

The committee passed a motion to increase the general advertising line of the budget from $2,000 to $7,550.

SSFC Rep. Sarah Neibart advocated for increasing the general advertising line of MCSC’s budget and said it was an important aspect of the budget because it connects the organization to the study body and increases the number of students their direct services are reaching.

“It is not fiscally responsible to grant the group funding if we are not putting in enough advertising for the group,” Neibart said.

In contrast to cuts made to many of the positions’ salary lines, the committee voted to add three paid positions to the Diversity Education Field Team at seven hours per week to the existing six positions.

Neibart said MCSC made it clear that the Diversity and Education Field Team was essential to providing their direct service, however this was not reflected in the proposed budget.

The committee also voted to reduce the budget line for several of the organization’s events, such as Stop the Rail to Jail and the Poetry Workshops, particularly in the area of the funds allocated for the speakers.

Vines said he felt these were reasonable reductions that would still allow the organization to carry out their direct services.

Of the changes made to the budget thus far, Neibart said she felt comfortable with the size of the budget, but not incredibly comfortable.

“I look forward to a constructive discussion about MCSC’s budget on Monday, in which we can clarify parts of the budget and certain funding criteria,” SSFC Chair Ellie Bruecker said.

SSFC unanimously approved a budget of $41,025.91 for Supporting Peers in Laid Back Listening for fiscal year 2013-’14, after making adjustments to the salary and supply lines of the budget.

In staying consistent with previous budget decisions, SSFC members approved a motion to split the paid positions of the organization into summer and academic year positions, with reduced summer hours and increased hours for the academic year.

SSFC Rep. David Vines asserted this decision would save students money and ensure the group is able to carry out their direct services.

The committee also approved a sunset clause for the Vice President Confidentiality position that stipulated the academic year hours for the position would decrease if SPILL purchased their new software by July 1.

At their budget hearing SPILL President Abby Forss said new software the organization was looking to purchase would require fewer hours of work for the VP Confidentiality position and the clause would accommodate for the potential adjustment.

SSFC will vote on whether or not to approve the budget for MCSC at their meeting on Monday Dec. 3.