Art showcasing protest reflections revived

Private donors and sponsors have combined resources to reschedule the Art in Protest showcase after the University of Wisconsin Extension School for Workers shut down the production after complaints from lawmakers. 

In a statement last week, the School for Workers said it canceled the event following concerns that the arts festival would be seen as a partisan event and that that the line between art and politics was too blurry for a state-funded school to be behind the exhibition. Artists set to be featured in the display were showcasing art based on the massive protests at the Wisconsin state Capitol last year. 

“While we disagree, we recognize that some might be unable to separate the art from the politics and we have concluded that, despite our best efforts, it would be difficult to maintain the primary focus on art and respect for the culture of working people,” the statement said.

Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said the festival would be inappropriate if paid for and sponsored by the Extension’s School for Workers because it would associate UW with the protesters.

Mike Mikalsen, a spokesperson for Nass, said Nass no longer has objections to the festival because they understand it is now funded privately or with donations. He added the art itself was never in question, but the role of UW Extension was.

“We’ve never had a problem with the festival as long as it’s paid for as a private activity,” Mikalsen said. “He certainly has no concerns. As we understand, it’s being paid for privately or with donations … so Steve has no objections to it.”

Mikalsen said the initial concerns stemmed from the possibilities of taxpayer funds and state money being used to support the festival.

Sandra Kallio, a UW Extension spokesperson, said the Extension is no longer sponsoring the event or involved with the festival in any way.

“We realized people were having a hard time separating the art from the politics, and it was going to be difficult to keep the focus on the art,” Kallio said. 

The festival is now set to be held March 9-10 at the Goodman Community Center in Madison, a spokesperson from the center confirmed.